Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing around power plant in Long Beach
[size 2] My friend found a spot near a power plant in Long Beach down around Studebaker and PCH where the water is warm year round.[/size]

[size 2] There is lots of smelt, halibut and bass there year round producing good size fish. I guess you park in dirt lot and walk down this road alittle ways then fish of a bridge.[/size]

[size 2] Does this sound familar to anyone?[/size]
[signature]

Hi there releaseit,

Yep! The LBPD knows that place very well. They give tickets to anyone who parks just off PCH near the San Gabriel River Bridge. No go on the Studebaker and Hwy 22 bridges near the plants either!

You'll need to park down by the condominums at the first signal to be safe for the polio hole or also known as the hole in the fence.

If you're willing to walk you can catch needlefish. sargo, diamon turbot, and the list goes on!

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]I went by there and checked it out. I made the choice quickly to run away![/size]

[size 2] There was like 12 bums down there. it was pretty scary. I lived in LB off and on for years and never heard of this place or rumors.[/size]

[size 2] I ended up going down to the end of Seal Beach Jetti. Caught a couple batrays. One weighed 12lbs! [/size]

[size 2] I hate fishing off rocks though but I was already down there. I think I will stick to piers and/or float tubes.[/size]
[signature]

Hey there releaseit,

I know what you mean! One little short guy is paranoid and will tell you to leave and claim you're casing the place and will come back at night and.........!

I would never fish there unless there were other anglers there plus you don't fish at the 'cement pond' but walk down the canal toward the power plants. The sides of the canal are hard to move around on but it's worth it most of the time. Half drunk, crazy bums won't follow you there![Wink][Wink]

Now fishing under the bridge is a different matter and not bad! Lots of needlefish!

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]I talked to my friends since last post. They do not fish there. The walk farther down away from bums campsite towards plant. The water is real warm and the bass hang out there.[/size]

[size 2] I might try again this weekend if it does not rain.[/size]
[signature]
i know you practice c&r , but a word of warning about the power plant fishing . they add chemicals to help cool the turbines down . some leak out . resident fish may accumiulate some of the contaminates over a period of time .
[signature]
At least that area is still safer than Santa Monica Bay. I've pulled fish out of there that are glowing with an erie blue color that last for about 3 minutes. It really makes you wonder.
[signature]
PLENTY OF EXTRAS ON OUR FISH IN THE DETROIT RIVER TOO . VAST AREAS OF NOTHING WHERE THERE SHOULD BE FISH TOO . IN THAT RIVER ALL I DID WAS C&R .
[signature]
Be careful fishing from the land out there. The best way, I have found, is to access the warm water with a boat. Bums do not swim. And, if they did, a boat is much faster![Smile]
[signature]
Unless it's Saturday then look out[crazy][sly]. I decided against going back down there. I talked to a LB Police friend who was very familar with that area and told we about attacks that happen down there including stabbings, battery and rape.

I was like none of that has to do with fishing[unsure] And lonehunter about the chemicals, I read about that too.

The screens the power plants use to keep trash and other contaminents get dirty and they use this harsh chemicals to clean them.

According to the City of Long Beach they test the water in that area often and there is acceptable levels which they feel the saltwater disburses safely.

What about long term effects of the fish? I am glad I catch and release 85% of my fish. I also bring fresh water and wash my hands when fishing locally.

I heard recently of someone fishing off Seal Beach Jetti that got a weird rash on there hands and arms after fishing that area. The doctor said it looked like something surfers get from surfing in water contaminated by raw sewage[unsure]

Crazy. I think I will stick to fishing piers, bays and lakes.
[signature]
Right on buddy. [Wink] There is nothing like playing it as safe as possible. Speaking of Piers, I'm headed down to Redondo Pier tonight. I read the reports about good Threashers, Hammerheads and Makos that have been caught there. Hopefully it doesn't rain tonight.
[signature]
I don't want to " rain " on your fishing plans but there is a 50% chance of showers in the mid LA and north OC areas tonight.[Sad]

Hopefully they are wrong but it did rain on me at 6am this morning comig to work. Good luck. Don't forget the steel leaders if your going after sharks!

I am curious, to land the shark do you use like a crab net or a pier gaff or what?
[signature]
I have used gaffs and crab nets in the past. I have enjoyed shark fishing for quite a few years now. I am aware of the rain and I am well prepared.

I just need to check around and see if it will rain less down south or further north in Santa Barbara. Either way I am expecting some moisture.
[signature]
When i used to shark fish in FL we would use head ropes. You put a loop in a rope around your line in the water and drop the loop over the sharks head and then haul them up over the peir rails. I am talking about a 40 to 60 foot drop from pier to water and large sharks to about 400lbs. It worked for us.
[signature]
Ouch! I have seen the crab nets used mostly. But I did see a custom gaff this guy had. He took a tree cutting extension pole and put a gaff on the end of it.

He lifted a shark as heavy as 80lbs off a pier. The pole then could colapse down to 5'-6'. Pretty cool[cool]
[signature]
that sounds cool and a good way to do it. I haven't shark fished for a long time, maybe next time I get to the coast. Fresh shark is really good to eat.
[signature]