Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canoe registration?
I acquired a flat back canoe over the winter in a trade and was curious whether the state required registration on canoes? Primary use will be for paddling trips, as I have another fishing boat, but with the flat back it would be hard not to throw the electric trolling motor on it where permitted.

Any canoe people out there have any insight on the regulations? I hate to have to pay the state any more to put another little sticker on something.
[signature]
We have a flat back canoe with a trolling motor and you are required to register when using a trolling motor.
[signature]
This has been a sorely discussed topic, but yes you do need to register if a motor is to be used, even the little pontoons have to be registered.
[signature]
The rule in Utah is simple. Unless it is ONLY human-powered, it has to be registered. ANY craft with any motor or a sail has to be registered.

Paddle it to your heart's content. But don't put a trolling motor on it without registering it first.
[signature]
If it is of any use I can tell you I just got the renewal notice on my motorized canoe, and the cost in cache county is $52.75. The really hard part last year was trying to explain to the kind lady at the tax commission office that there was no bill of sale, and I don't know the year of manufacture and there is no VIN.
[signature]
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess it is man powered, un-registered canoe.

Sometimes it is a nice change to go old school anyway. Heaven knows I could use the exercise [Smile]
[signature]
I put a trolling motor on my a long time ago. Had to build a bracket because it's a double ender. Wasn't really worth the effort.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
There is a HIN number on the flat back canoes. It will be Melted into the plastic near the rail in the back on colemans or on a plate on the fiberglass ones.

I have been running one for awhile.
[signature]
@fishinfool Yours looks like the exact model as the one I have. 16 foot Coleman?

Care if I ask what the annual renewal fee is just out of curiosity?
[signature]
That's good to know. Mine is not a Coleman, nor a flat back, but now I am going to have to look for the HIN just out of curiosity. Thanks.

Edit: misdirected reply, meant for fishnfool
[signature]