Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protective aprons for a float tube
How do you make a protective apron for a float tube? I have been reading about them and it sounds like it would be a good thing to have. Thanks for all your help.

Fishkid
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I am assuming you mean to help prevent getting spines in your air chambers. Here is a copy and paste from one of the chapters in my book. Let me know if you need more help. I make them mostly from naugahyde, which I cut and stitch to fit...with some elastic cord and clips on the corners to attach to D rings.[/size][/blue]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]PROTECTIVE APRONS[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] Sharp points and air chambers do not mix well. If you fish for species with sharp spines on their fins, you should consider a protective apron on the front of your craft, where fish can bounce during the landing or releasing process. [/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Even a lowly bluegill, dropping off the hook before you can grab it, can inflict a pinhole leak in your air chamber. This will usually not result in a sudden deflation, but it must be addressed. Your remaining time on the water will be limited, unless you have an onboard pump, to keep up with the air loss.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Protective aprons can be made from a piece of inner tube rubber, canvas, rubberized fabric, heavy nylon or Naugahyde. I have made many serviceable exterior aprons of different colors of Naugahyde. It is easy to work with, inexpensive and wards off all but direct hits from the sharpest spines. It is also good to cushion any areas that come into contact with fish baskets or stringers…for the same reasons.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Aprons may be fitted, cut and sewn to be tied down on the outside of your craft cover…or they may be inserted between the air chamber and the cover before inflation. The latter method is more tedious, but is also less visible and less bothersome.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Whatever material you choose for an apron, it should be light and strong, as well as being able to hold up under repeated soakings and drying out…and long rides in the hot sun.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for your help again TubeDude.

Fishkid
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hi there TubeDude,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]Do you have a PA on your Fat Cat? If so how about a pic![/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2][/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2][/size][/#804000]
[signature]
I don't know if that would be allowed on this site. He would have to undo his zipper.[shocked]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Dryrod, I have not installed anything to guard against punctures at the business end of my craft. As the proud owner of a SFC, you know that the front of the air chambers are already partially protected by the heavy plastic cover. [/size][/blue]

[blue][size 1]That helps, but there is still a few inches between the end of the black plastic and the beginning of the pocket where the air chamber is covered only with the nylon outer shell. That area is still vulnerable to fish spines, errant hooks, etc.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]My plan has been to insert a couple of pieces of either naugahyde or rubber inner tube rubber up inside the front portion of each eair chamber, between the chamber and the cover, to provide protection without having something else to dodge on the outside.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Haven't done this yet, but probably should before our first trip down to the Sea of Cortez. All the fish down there have teeth and/or sharp spines. Both TubeBabe and I have had to make unscheduled returns to the beach down there because of having a fishie stick a pinhole in our tubes with a spine. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In fact, fishing down there was really the inspiration for our earliest models of naugahyde snap-on aprons, for our old round boats. We had suffered "deflation" before, usually from some small bluegill falling off the hook and bouncing off the tube. But, a trip to the Sea of Cortez is almost guaranteed to put your craft at risk. We just made up the aprons and used them on all trips. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, the ones that cover the outside also help keep the front of your craft cleaner too. If you get slime, blood, bait or fish attractant on them, the surface is more easily washable than if those things get ground down into the fabric of your float tube cover. And, if they get really well-used, you can replace them for a couple of bucks worth of new naugahyde.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#804000][size 2]Hi TubeDude,[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2]Thanks for the feed back. What you say makes sense to me. I agree that the prefered method would be inserting a protective film between the bladder and the outside shell. Makes for a much neater looking craft. Got to keep up our appearences you know. The fish are rather choosy as to the appearence of their captors.[/size][/#804000]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Do you think it would help if I combed my hair neater? How about wearing a tie? Maybe those snooty British anglers have something going for them.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Besides the appearance, I don't like having anything more hanging off my tube or cluttering the fishing area than necessary. If I do anything it will be an "inside job". [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will shoot some step by step pics when I rig [/size][/#0000ff][#0000ff][size 1]it...which should be in the next week or so. We are planning an exploratory trip to Alamo Lake, in Arizona, next weekend, and maybe to the Sea of Cortez the following weekend. I want to have it in place before that.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey George. How are ya?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]During the mid eighties through the early 90's, we spent many funfilled days along the Sonoran coast of the Sea of Cortez...from below San Carlos to Puerto Penasco. I speak semi fluent Spanish, so we got along fine. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Until some of the bad news situations about roving bands of desperate robbers, we camped on the beach and went fishing and diving in many remote places. Then the stories of disappearing gringos and burned out vehicles started keeping us away from the unprotected areas.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]They stopped having the Federale checkpoints in the late 80's in an effort to increase tourism. Then, they made a law that you have to post a $400 bond...on a credit card...and pay about $25 entry fee if you are going to go beyond the 15 mile barrier into Mexico. That shut down a lot of travel to San Carlos.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]To go to Rocky Point, all you need is Mexican Insurance and proof of American citizenship. If you go below Rocky Point, you need the visa and the bond. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, there is lots of good fishing from the beach or from a float tube in Rocky Point. Have had days of over two hundred fish...of up to fifty different species. And, it is only about a 4 hour drive from Chandler...if I keep the landing gear down. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The good thing about Rocky Point is that everybody speaks English and you can spend dollars without having to change your money to pesos. There are some great restaurants and some decent hotels at good rates in the off season. Unfortunately, development is quickly ruining what used to be a quiet getaway. And, during Spring Break you can't get near the place...and you wouldn't want to if you are over 25 years old (I am).[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My favorite spot to go is Puerto Lobos, about halfway between Rocky Point and San Carlos. It is 4 wheel drive road for about 40 miles from the end of the pavement...which keeps out a lot of folks. It is a remote fishing camp, where the pangeros launch through the calm water every morning to set nets and lines. The fishery trucks come back in several times a week to bring ice, water, salt and groceries and to take out the processed fish. No electricity and no water. Great fishing and diving.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]