Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon Boats
[indent][font "Arial"]Pontoon boats were developed to meet the needs of anglers on moving waters. Introduced in the 1980's they have evolved into highly rockered inflatable pontoons straddled with sturdy frames to carry the load. [Image: pontoon.jpg]Weighing in around 60-100 pounds, steel frames being the heavier, they are less portable than float tubes. Never-the-less they can be managed by one person. I've modified a back pack frame to to carry mine unassembled. Oops! I let the cat out of the bag and told you my preference.[/font]

[font "Arial"]A premium feature is the molded swivel bucket seat which provides a comfortable posture with less fatigue. Pontoon construction is of the same heavy duty material used in white water rafts. Propulsion is by oars or by fins. Some models even have motor mounts. [/font]

[font "Arial"]These boats are excellent for both ponds, lakes, and moving rivers. They are exceptionally easy to get in and out of. When floating a stream and you come to a portage, simply stand up and let the boat float through while you wade. I use a retractable dog leash as tether.[Image: double-takeIIlg.gif][/font]

[font "Arial"]The downside to personal watercrafts is that they are single person units. Your fishing buddy has to have one also. You can purchase a two man outfit which is essentially two single units joined together. You can fish them joined or as two single units. The nice thing about fishing them joined is that one person can maneuver the boat while the other fishes. There is a casting platform in front that enables the one fishing to stand keeping the line high above the water and the ears of his navigator.[/font][/indent]
[signature]