Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin Dunham res.Grafton NY
[cool]Fished this body of water today. It was my first time to fish there. And it showed we had a slow day. But from what I could see from other hard water lovers we were not alone. It could have been because of the low preasure moving in from canada. I charted many fish in 19' of water they were cruising through at 15'down. These guys were just not actively forgaging for food. Plenty of bait fish with them. We were using minnows on our jig sticks and tipups. Very easy access to water. I will have to educate myself more on this very nice body of water.
[signature]
Hey Chief, Time is the best teacher of any body of water. Especially if you plan to enjoy it in the future.[cool]
[signature]
Grafton? Is that E of Troy? What kind of fish were you after?
[signature]
[Sad][Sad]I will be visiting this Res. again. I have been talking to another Renss. county

hard water man on the ice leader board. He gave me some insite to this area. I didn't set up in the direction he susgested I only read his post once and thought I remembered him saying to head southeast with my setups well I just read it again and his susgestion was to head northeast. That 180 deg. change could have made all the difference. I 've got to remember my old carpenter rule measure (read) twice and cut(drill) once. Next time.
[signature]
[Sad] Hey Troll I was targeting Walleye this trip. Yes Grafton is east of Troy off of route 2. A real nice spot it is part of the State park system of small lakes. I think this lake will be worth a canoe trip in the summer months.
[signature]
I never fished over that way much. I was always drawn in by Saratoga, where I knew I could catch fish or Lake George where I could not but kept trying.
[signature]
Lake George is great on ice or out of the boat. I visit Rogers Rock in the summer months good launch and some real good fishing. You can't keep the smallies off your hook. The boat traffic at the northern end of the lake is lighter then down by the village. Saratoga is such a busy lake it's hard to enjoy but can be very good for walleye and crappie in the spring of the year. I have a hard time trying to get access for ice fishing. The state launch down by the bridge is available but the riveris there,and I don't trust the ice.
[signature]
We were allowed access by DiDonna's Restraunt for a parking fee. It gives access to a large slow sloping flat with weeds thats good for pike and perch and if you follow the cliffs on the East out there is a big shale shelf on the south dropping off from 20 to 35' at the end of the shelf. The deep edge of that drop off gave me more walleye through the ice than anywhere else on the lake. There used to be a live bait shop in Malta on Rt 9 is that still there?
[signature]
Hey Troll, Thanks for the insite for Saratoga I will check out the parking area. I don't believe that the bait shop is still there. I usually get what I need from Conroy's in Watervielt. Their bait is nice and fresh and lively. Mike is retired now and is there all the time. It's a quick pick up from work for me. I will be going to the Boy's scout camp this weekend to hnt down some Crappie. And maybe hit a Bass there too. They run very large in this small lake, a lot of salamander for them to feed on. Talk to later.
[signature]