Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River 6/1
I'm new around here and just learning the basics of fly fishing. Took a class to learn the basics but finally got out on my own Friday to put what I learned to the test. Hit the Weber at the AJudd Walk in Access point around 9 and fished for a few hours trying to hone my nymphing skills. Tried Sowbug and Caddis patterns with no luck. Switched to Copper John and was happy to finally catch my first fish on the fly rod. Little ~8 inch brown trout. Learned a lot that day and will definitely try again real soon.

[inline 20180601_120412.jpg]
[signature]
Always great to get your first fish on a fly rod, congrats.
[signature]
Congrats man!

Life as you knew it, is over (in a good way). [Wink]
[signature]
For the Weber - try a Zebra Midge. Usually does very well. Also a red or pink Squirmy Worm(y).
[signature]
Nice work getting out and making it happen. The Weber is usually a black zebra midge and red San juan worm kinda river for me. Good on ya switching it up till you found the right fly.
[signature]
Thanks for the encouragement and advice from everyone. I'll definitely try a zebra midge and worm next time I'm out there.
[signature]
I like a rs2 and a Frenchie
[signature]
Key to the Weber is bounce it off the bottom an use a bead head fly, BH Prince Nymph, BH Hares Ear, or BH Copper John
[signature]
Well at least you didn’t tell them they don’t have to bother with microflies [Wink]. I always liked the Webe as I seldom had to resort to anything smaller than a size 12 or 14 to consistently land fish. Size 10 tungsten bh Prince nymph and streamers outfiish worms most of the time. Cloudy days I’d be throwing a size 8-12 pearl zonker. Something dark on sunny days. Worm patterns only outperformed this for me on quite high water. Midge patterns universally were less productive anytime anywhere on the Webe for me.
The key to all trout fishing is getting the fly to were the fish is. So if there isn’t much dry activity it’s always getting it down to the fish is feeding. It’s why a dry dropper is such a poor choice unless your content to covering less water and catching less fish. And a bounce rig just has too unnatural drift too much of the time to begin to be as productive. That realistic drift is far more important than which nymph you select.
It’s also why the Provo is such a suboptimal place to learn to fly fish as the skills you learn there aren’t what you need to fish 95% of the intermountain region streams well.
[signature]
riverdog, you sound like you know the Weber well. Are you saying you use a traditional nymph rig with you big bead head flies? Do you use weight and an indicator when fishing that big tungsten bh prince? Please educate us/me because I have never caught on a prince on that river.
[signature]
Not trying to complicate things but the Original Poster is new fly fishing the things you mentioned take time ... Like everything fly fishing can be easy or complicated as you want to make it but in the end its all about getting out, having fun and catching fish. Let the technique and mastery be learned over time.

As far as fishing the weeb, sub-surface whether it be a bouncing rig or a single split shot has always produced far more for me than dries. I dont fish a bouncing rig simply for fact you mentioned the time it takes to rig but a couple small split shot works wonders.

Quick search and I have posts that date back to 2007 fishing a BH Prince or BH Hares Ear Not bragging more so to say bouncing a prince off the bottom works and works well. You dont have to take my word for it just Give a try
[signature]