Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Wiring Help
Hey guys, can you take a look at this and tell me if I am correct in my thinking? I will add some links to the fuse box and switch panel.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5025/ST..._and_Cover

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/...s?slotId=5
[signature]
Looks like that will work.
[signature]
So where should I put my battery (ive heard to put it in the front to offset the weight) and how should I mount it so it doesn't just sit and bounce around.
[signature]
Not sure what size boat you have. Aluminum or fiberglass? If it does not have a built in battery box, you can possibly find a battery box, or mount tray at a auto junk yard. If you have a small boat such as aluminum, I would recommend you mount the battery tray in as close to the center as possible. Don't put the battery directly on the deck or hull. If no deck, build a wood support from the hull up to create a level support, mount the battery box. Be sure you track the cables to and from the battery in an area they won't get stepped on, or chaffed against any rough edges. Take a page out of Tube Dude's book and run the cables thru PVC pipe and secure the pipe to the bottom edges of the gunwales.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sorry it is an Alumacraft 1436 LT aluminum jon boat. No battery box but I am thinking about cutting a hole just big enough for the battery in the center seat and mount a bracket in there with a lid to keep it, the wires, and the fuse box out of the elements.
[signature]
I see TinCan already ask what kind of boat you have, so IMO, the best place to put it is as close to where you need the power as possible. My first boat that I installed an extra battery, was one that I was installing an electric trolling motor on, in the bow. So that was where I put the battery, I just built a wooden frame, that I installed a battery box on, worked out fine but it's always a good idea to strap the battery down. If you have a better spot in the back, that would work too on a smaller boat like yours but just remember, if you are installing an electric trolling motor you will need to run those heavy copper wires to the front and that will cost you more, if you mtor is up there. If the Electric trolling motor will be in the back, there isn't an issue mounting the battery in the back.
[signature]