Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help please!
I have been trying to sell my boat and I broke down and advertised it for sale on walleyecentral after having no luck on ksl and boattrader. I received this email today and would like some opinions on the legitamacy of it.

WalleyeCentral.com
Jun 11, 2018, 12:34 AM
longman4505@gmail.com<BR>I am interested in buyng your boat so let me to know the last price ?

james ekern
Jun 11, 2018, 11:20 AM
$40,000 would be the lowest I could go I still owe 42,000 on it

long man
Jun 13, 2018, 10:43 AM
to me

Hello,

Thanks for your mail,i will pay by check and why my partner will send a cashier check for you for the payment so we wait for the check to get clear inside your bank account before any pick up take place so i need your name and address with your phone number to use to send the check to you right and why my partner will plus my shipping company money on the check that you will receive to use to come for the pick up at your place....

thanks....
[signature]
Scam.

Get Gephart has done stories on that scam. I might call law enforcement.
[signature]
I also concur this is a common scam on KSL and other similar sites. They will either pick the boat up and the check will not clear or more likely they will send a check for a greater amount than the purchase price and ask you to wire the excess to a bank account. After wiring the money the check will not clear and you will be out the amount that you wired.
[signature]
I would be suspicious, try contacting a moderator on WalleyeCentral and see if someone like this guy has tried pulling some stunt like this before. Could be OK but if they have a record of this individual doing this before, then stop all communication with them. Also, ask the guy what his username is on WalleyeCentral, if he a member there and has posted before they can look up his IP address and find out if he actually lives where he claims to live.
Did he say what state he lives in?
[signature]
[quote jekern1015]I have been trying to sell my boat and I broke down and advertised it for sale on walleyecentral after having no luck on ksl and boattrader. I received this email today and would like some opinions on the legitamacy of it.

WalleyeCentral.com
Jun 11, 2018, 12:34 AM
longman4505@gmail.com
I am interested in buyng your boat so let me to know the last price ?

james ekern
Jun 11, 2018, 11:20 AM
$40,000 would be the lowest I could go I still owe 42,000 on it

long man
Jun 13, 2018, 10:43 AM
to me

Hello,

Thanks for your mail,i will pay by check and why my partner will send a cashier check for you for the payment so we wait for the check to get clear inside your bank account before any pick up take place so i need your name and address with your phone number to use to send the check to you right and why my partner will plus my shipping company money on the check that you will receive to use to come for the pick up at your place....

thanks....[/quote]

Did you really have to ask? As for law enforcement, they typically only get involved if money has been exchanged so don't waste your time on it.
[signature]
I agree with the consensus here.

To make that more meaningful to you, I post on some of my experiences and how I can spot a scam. In short, it's pattern recognition and I spot a few patterns of language errors that are very common in two foreign nations where scamming is their major enterprise.

The only value I've actually lost to scammers has been my time, but I value that highly.

Here is an easy test to spot copy and paste clues:
Copy the most obscure part of the text that is poor language and with errors into a search engine which I did for you:

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_e...&as_rights=

Then you see the same copy and paste used on other people and them posting on it. In this case, the segment of words I chose are word for word including he exact same errors. You can see that it caused a lot of wasted time and trouble.

I've participated on dating websites a lot though not in recent years. They have a plethora of fake profiles that originate in Nigeria or Ghana Africa. But, you wouldn't know from looking at them. Most often they are listed in some small obscure town in your own state.

Oddly, the dating websites do nothing to eliminate them. Perhaps because they pay well and why not since they are making a lot of money from the hopeful who fall for some scam.

Our embassies warn of such scams and law enforcement there is likely part of the collection of huge amounts of money from scams. All it takes is an old man who has a cubical in a building with others doing the same, a desk and a computer and copies and pastes of ladies here and copies and pastes of their best attempts at English.

I spot the patterns. The clue here simply is no one actually talks like that when English is their main language. They're right that they won't pick up your boat. It would be impractical to move your boat to Ghana, Africa. Perhaps it's somehow a money scam.

There are also a lot of lessor scams. Some are just after your name and contact information. I got fooled by one of those when I was looking to buy my off-road vehicle for better access to great fishing locations. I saw an advertisement on KSL.com for one like what I wanted for a good price. It had a Vehicle Identification Number and plenty of pictures. I actually got a loan approval on it for that VIN. The "seller" was hard to contact. Finally, after many attempts to buy this car, he said it was already sold, but forgot to cancel the advertisement. He didn't forget as he continued the advertisement. He wasn't selling cars at all. What he was really doing was selling long lists of names and contact information of those interested in buying cars to used car dealers. It didn't matter to him that he wasted people's time.

Scammers make use of the anonymity on free advertisement.

It bothered me for a couple days, but I ended up buying a much better car and I actually got a better deal from a new car dealer - Jody Wilkinson Acura than anything I could find at used car dealers or individuals.

A dealership is not normally known for great deals, but their buisness has too much value to risk tarnishing their reputation with anything other than doing things right. Still, I got my car under the book value and it was a one owner car that spent most of it's life in an airconditioned garage and it came with a full file of service records.

Though I say to be careful of the free advertisements, I have bought plenty of good deals from fine people that I met in person. Your reply has me thinking that it comes from a non-English speaking nation that has very poor economics and they look the other way to people bringing in money with scams.

Scammers actually look for people who can be hurt the most by their scam. They don't care about that. What they want is someone desperate enough to need to believe it is not a scam. It also helps them that they don't have the resources to do anything about it.
[signature]
This is almost the same type of wording I’ve had on things I’ve posted that were scams. I asked a bank on the very first one over 10 years ago and they verified it was a scam.

A legitimate person is going to first want to meet and come look at what they are buying.
[signature]
its fraud definitely i still have the fake check they sent me when i was selling my boat when they sent the check i called the bank before i cashed it it was fake
[signature]
Quote:

Just from the way that was written I PROMISE you it is a scam! Ex-wife almost got sucked in by one of those a few years back. Either turn it over to law enforcement or dump it and ignore it and any future contacts.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
What threw me off was it was from walleye central. I contacted their support and this is the reply I received;

Thank you for contacting us, but I would do more research on private selling online. Maybe try posting in the off topic section the forums and get some feedback on other members.

Regards

Thanks for all the thoughts and help with this I have since dismissed their proposal. I still have a boat for sale if any one is interested.
[signature]
[quote jekern1015]Thanks for all the thoughts and help with this I have since dismissed their proposal.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Smart![/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."