Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarasota Fla. Report 03/30/02
March 30, 2002<br><br>Sarasota Fla. Fishing Report<br><br>By Capt. Bob Smith<br><br>For most of the week, the fishing was hot offshore. The beaches had plenty of cobia to 40 pounds and Spanish mackerel to 5 pounds. The (I) reefs and other structures held plenty of fish. Live shrimp and pilchards free-lined worked well for us. Jigs and plugs also worked.<br><br>The (M1) reef was very hot on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Tuesday, we had a school of Spanish sardines balled up under my boat for two hours as we drifted. The school was so tight to the boat, that I was able to fill my bait well by scooping the bait up with my small bait well net. As soon as we flipped one out about ten feet, we had a fish on.<br><br>Wednesday we found mostly kingfish on (M1). They held close to the structure all day. They were mostly small kings, 6-10 pounds but the action was fast and fun on our light tackle. Most of the live bait worked, shrimp included. The exception was the large Threadfin herring. Taking off the steel leader would really step up the action.<br><br>It all came to a halt on Thursday. The weather was still good, the bait was plentiful but very little was caught from the beaches to out past the Cuda Hole area. Friday, I was off the water but the mid morning reports I got did not sound much better. Let's hope it picks up today.<br><br>On the bay, the ladyfish and jacks are tearing it up. You can find plenty of action at the Twin Bridges or Big Pass. Trout, pompano, snook and redfish have been possible but sparse.<br><br>Enjoy and Protect<br><br>http://www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com<br><br><br>