Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My garden pics: June 2018
What is the green produce Roxanne is holding? - Was it those Crenshaw cantaloupe that you guys grow? That is rather large I was so sure it had to be a pumpkin.

Yes as you know we have to garden in patches here and there, where we get enough sun, even if it is not all day sun. Most folks out here prefer to not even garden, but we haven't thrown in the towel on that yet. A garden ripened tomato taste makes it all worth it us - anything more than that though is just fun - like gravy on mashed potatoes - but if you aren't good at making gravy, just a little butter on them and you can be pretty happy. [Wink]

The fountain I got off Amazon. Think for our large space a larger one would be more effective on the wasps, this smaller one could then be moved to the upper pond that feeds the waterfall then. Luckily ours are never very aggressive. We have no nests at our place here and if you watch as they fly away from the pond some are going far up the back hillside, some toward the side field. Too bad our fish won't eat them if they get knocked into the water. We've tried a lot of things to deter tehm - a target gun flyswatter - Jeff thought that'd be pretty fun, but it really didn't work very well for the distance we need to travel, but it was entertainment nonetheless, using a good ole fly swatter but once again, effective but you can only reach so far, or catch them as they get water right at the edges - you cause a good spash with each swat - again, fun, but not as effective. Where the fountain sprays they wont land for fear of getting waterlogged I think - but I cannot cover the whole surface with water spraying - that wouldn't be economical use of power or water as it of course could splash out and dry up needing to be replaced .

The hibiscus is a tropical plant and has to winter over in the basement. Then after all chance of frosts has passed, I can move it back out to the pond - it sits on the shelf around the sides of the pond. I do cut it back to about 3 inches just before frost. You only get about a month to month and half of flowering, which isn't much, but they are so pretty. This fall I plan to divide it as I think has outgron the pot I have it in, so next year I should get more blooms.

Think I'll be aking some Rhubarb Crisp tonight when the girls are here. I haven't yet run FDer load yet, still waiting to get 4 full trays. So I'll be adding some more crisp to what I save as a test - if it doens't work out well, we'll just be able to eat it withour having to make another batch. Hopefully you're back in business with yours as garden harvesting is quickly appraoching.

Oh Jeff jsut got back from the walk around the yard - our melons have all dounled in size just in couple days time - this of course bodes well that will get harvest of some of them after all - yeah!

Messages In This Thread
My garden pics: June 2018 - by wiperhunter2 - 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] My garden pics: June 2018 - by jjannie - 07-30-2018, 04:47 PM