Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do any of you grow a garden?
I hope all of you that grow gardens be it flowers, vegetables or you do your own landscaping will post your pics here:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...?forum=333

I started a thread there if you are interested.
[signature]
I have a large selection of seeds for preparedness in the refrigerator, but all of the time I could have used for gardening, I use for fishing instead Wink

My gardening experience is from my childhood (for those who consider me to be a grownup) which I used as a scientific pursuit. I've have love for science and understanding how things work. I used selective breeding of amaryllis to learn and become entrepreneurial by breeding them to make huge flowers that attracted people to stop and ask where to get them that big because none of them have ever seen the flowers anywhere near that large. I wasn't a good entrepreneur because I gave seeds away for free.
[signature]
I've often wondered how long seed could survive in a package, any idea?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I've often wondered how long seed could survive in a package, any idea?[/quote]

Yes, I researched it.

You won't exactly know for each variety unless you use laboratory expensive equipment for measuring moisture content and altering it to optimum according to charts and research.

Some seeds like onions have a short life and there are others that have a long life.

But, what is really useful knowledge to us are the generalizations as follows.

A few hot summer days can do a lot of harm to seed shelf life very fast.

Seed storage life generally doubles for each ten degrees lower in which it is stored up to approaching freezing and then it becomes complex, so for now my seeds have been stored in the refrigerator.

Very harmful to seeds would be multiple slow freeze - thaw cycles that can happen in a refrigerator that is adjusted too cold. It is important to never allow your seeds to approach freezing in the refrigerator because sharp ice crystals form in the residual moisture content and pierce and damage the cellular structure.

The exception is if seeds have been accurately reduced in moisture content specific to the type of seeds according to charts for that and using expensive laboratory equipment to prepare them for deep freezing. Then they should be frozen fast and way below freezing with equipment that never lets the cycles peak near or above freezing. Once frozen the seeds can last very long like 50 years and more. But, done wrong and it kills them.

Because of the complexities of that, they remain in my refrigerator. But, the humidity of the refrigerator is very low and over time the moisture content of the seeds will reduce and perhaps then it would be better for many types to be frozen and using guesswork, take the risk of damage to have potential long life.

My preparedness thinking has me making compromises on optimum seed storage life. I've mostly opted for the sure thing of longer storage life in the refrigerator without going for the technical and expensive preparations for freezing though I haven't ruled that out for future additional seed acquisitions in a big way.

My thinking is that should our preparedness be needed in harsh times to come that come soon, my refrigerated seeds will be viable and of extremely high importance. But, should my preparedness not be needed and the seeds are wasted by expiring decades from now by never being needed, then that is desired and harsh times to come might be in a more distant future.

But, that is the nature of preparedness because if we know what will happen, then what we do for that would be called planning. On that, a common saying in the preparedness community is: "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

Generally, I will expect most of my refrigerated seeds to be viable should I need them. But, some verities might be stunted or not germinate. Still, I will have plenty of other varieties that will last.

Seeds are amazing! Thanks to our Creator, just a tiny speck will make a plant that makes delicious and nutritious food as well as produce a lot more seeds to do it again next season and share the seeds with others. There is no substitute for not having seeds for those particular plants you might want though preparedness substitutes is finding wild edibles in your surrounding area and foraging combined with cultivation. But, there are many fine foods you would be missing out on that I intend to have.
[signature]
a bunch of people grow "gardens" here in CO. but they yield no fruit or vegetables at all!
[signature]
LOL, I see what kind of garden you are referring to and I bet it brings them a lot of happiness[Wink].
[signature]
the convenience stroes in CO are doing record sales.. mainly tWinkies and pringles
[signature]
In Oregon also
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
LOL, that is not surprising[Wink]. Have you been doing any fishing there is Colo?
[signature]
I have been doing a little, but I have shifted my focus to elk and deer already. Hopefully i will be able to hunt unless I have to take another mandatory "vacation" again.
[signature]