Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fly Rod?
My Sage RPL+ may be retired soon since the line eyelets are starting to come undone. Does Sage still fix these things under warranty at a reasonable price?

I stopped by Cabelas to check out some new rods and liked the Cabelas Rogue, Reddington Vice, and Sage Foundation. Does anyone has any advice on these rods and which one is the best quality and has the best warranty?

I also spent the last few days on the Henry's Fork and only got a few dinks. The hatches got all screwed up due to the last week of cold weather.

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
[quote catfish77]My Sage RPL+ may be retired soon since the line eyelets are starting to come undone. Does Sage still fix these things under warranty at a reasonable price?

[/quote]

I contacted Sage about an old RPL that the finish is coming off. I asked if they refurbished their rods and was told that they don't. The interesting thing was the guy told me that if I broke it, they would replace it. I'm not sure what he was trying to tell me but I don't think it's right to deliberately break it for them to replace it.
[:/]

I'm not sure what repair charge is now, it used to be $75.00.

If you've been fishing an RPL+ you may have a hard time finding a rod that feels as good as that one, at any price.

Good luck!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Question? Why not just rewrap the rod...replacing any guides that are worn?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When you "marry" a good flyrod it should be until death (of you or it) does you part.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I just wanted to second the comment about finding a rod that feels as good as the RPL+. I still use mine all the time. When I looked for a new rod, I settled on the Sage Method. I feel like it is the best inheritor of the RPL+'s virtues, although the (now discontinued) Sage One maintains more of the RPL+'s versatility. If it were me, I would definitely get it repaired, even if it didn't make strictly financial sense.
[signature]
I have owned sage st croix g loomis fenwick cabelas and several from mud hole that I have made my self. sage is by far the worst warranty. They take for ever and cost much more. g loomis is great. They want your old rod so they can mach the new part upor fix the old. last I used them $20 plus shipping. coulld have changed see link. and I got eveything back in 8 days. I h\also had and older rod that they do not make any more and they upgraded me for the same $20 repair cost. st croix last I had to use them the customer service guy said to call ahead of time and they would just send a replacement tip section out. but see link for official. as with g loomis st croix up graded my old rod for the same cost as a warranty. They also have an upgrade program. You send in you old broken rod and they will give you in house credit the value of the broken rod to upgrade to one of their high end rods. havent had to send in a fenwick so not sure how they are to deal with. cabelas is great! just take in you old set up if you just bought the rod then takee the rod. If you bought a combo then they want the whole set up back and they just replace it for you on the spot. and back to sage they are the worst cost is higher and they take longer. almost 3 months with an old rod that i had. I gave it to a friend because i do not like dealing with sage.

http://www.gloomis.com/content/gloomis/n...RANTY.html

https://stcroixrods.com/pages/service-warranty

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick-warranty.html

https://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custser...=Guarantee

http://www.sageflyfish.com/warranty

Wind and car doors have not been my friend. Great rod manufactures and understanding helpful companies are worth my time and money. these are my experiences and opinions. if you are attached to your rod ike i am to a few of mine family hand me downs or great trips and the rod is a part of your family. Then I would take ftd advice and just repair it your self. take it into anglers den and they will be happy to help show you how. fish tech is great at rod building also and can show you how to retie the guides .
[signature]
So I stopped in at Fish Tech to sample some rods and the guy there really seemed to like the Sage-Pulse. Does anyone have experience with the rod?
[signature]
[quote catfish77]So I stopped in at Fish Tech to sample some rods and the guy there really seemed to like the Sage-Pulse. Does anyone have experience with the rod?[/quote]

this is a good link to three pros that have great reps and test a lot of rods. as you can see my opinion about sage is above.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-r...sage-pulse
[signature]
I agree 100% with Tube Dude. It's an easy fix. No need for a fancy winder or a lot of gear, a simple DIY winding stand Couple spools of thread and some epoxy and you should be ready to fix your favorite rod.

The work is already done for you, place the new guides exactly where the old ones were and tie them in...epoxy and like new.

Now I understand the urgency of having a trusted rod you can fish with, so I suggest you buy the new rod you like now to solve that issue. That way, next year you have 2 fly rods.
Maybe something a little different than your RPL to increase the arsonal and your skills.
Maybe a long stick for nymphing, 10' or 11' even. I like the Fenwick Aetos I have. Perfect size for the middle provo where I mostly fish. Long for controlling drifts on the other side of the river and long enough to keep your fly out of the grass on the back cast.
[signature]
[quote catfish77]My Sage RPL+ may be retired soon since the line eyelets are starting to come undone. Does Sage still fix these things under warranty at a reasonable price?

I stopped by Cabelas to check out some new rods and liked the Cabelas Rogue, Reddington Vice, and Sage Foundation. Does anyone has any advice on these rods and which one is the best quality and has the best warranty?

I also spent the last few days on the Henry's Fork and only got a few dinks. The hatches got all screwed up due to the last week of cold weather.

Thanks,

Justin[/quote]
Hey Catfish77, thanks for sharing your thoughts about Sage RPL+ and I hope, you need a solution. Buying a brand-new fly rod should be a fun experience. But my years’ operating a fly rod suggest learn the process for ultimate outcomes instead difficult and intimidating, from time to time even downright scary.

EDIT: links are not allowed for new members see the FAQ above for the rules on this site.
[signature]