Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster 29" 11 lber caught at Willard
Catching has really slowed down at Willard but I'm still not willing to give up. ZUKI_BLUE and I got out to Willard yesterday to meet a good breeze and 1.5 to 2 ft waves. Slowly made our way to the Island where I picked up the first fish of the day a standard size cat that took the hook all the way down in the throat, so we keep it, a little while later Gene hooked the bottom but then it started moving, took a good 10 to 12 mins to get it in and since the water was really stained, because of the wind, we had to wait until it was beside the boat before we could get a look at the beast, see pic. Later we picked up a decent walleye and another cat. Not sure if the cool down affected the shad on this trip but we did not see nearly as many, as earlier in the week.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I got one of equal size a couple of years ago...only mine was a lowly catfish...not a lovely buglemouth.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Used to catch a lot of cats 30 inches and bigger out of Willard. Maybe there is hope for the future.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes I remember pitching rapelas into the rocks to get big cats, 15 years ago. Before the shad appeared.
[signature]
Reminds me of a similar sized carp I once caught at Willard during a wiper fishing tournament put on by Maniac Lures. I won $300 for the largest carp. Even though I got nice money for it, I was still very embarrassed and left the party immediately after getting my pay check.

I scream like a girl when catfish, burbot, or carp come in the boat.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
I remember that cat you caught Pat and had hopes that this fish was a cat too but it wasn't[Sad], oh well it still gave Gene a great fight and when catching is slow, you can't ask for more than that.
[signature]
Seems like every year I catch a carp of two up to 8 lbs but this was the largest, I've seen pulled in for a number of years.
No shame there, catching a carp that won you $300, I'd bet everyone in that tournament would have been happy to take home $300, no matter if it was a carp. In Europe a carp is a highly prized fish.
[quote Old_Coot]I scream like a girl when catfish, burbot, or carp come in the boat.
[/quote]
Since this year seems to be the year of the Catfish, I now understand why we are not seeing you out on Willard as much[Wink].
[signature]
i remember that wiper fest i didn't know that was you , i would take my picture with a turd for 300 buck ,but thats just me [Smile]
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]I would take my picture with a turd for 300 buck ,but thats just me [Smile][/quote]

L.O.L. ...
[signature]