Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Gardens section.
It's wild to see the folks up north with their gardens. But I still remember those days. My cukes are pretty much all done. I have one of my many Cantaloupe ready to pick. Have pulled up my snap peas 4 weeks ago and my string beans are also almost finished. I'll be replanting for fall on Augest 1st. Following Kurt's example I used the drip irrigation but with black plastic for the weeds. My field bean and lima beans seem to do well with out additional water. Which is good as they are 120' from the house. Brussel sprouts I covered with insect screening so no aphids can get in. Spiders seem to keep the beetles and other bugs in check inside that screen. They are about 2ft tall at this point. So any other southern folks out there with a garden to share??
[signature]
Thanks for the post Gregg, I was hoping others would get involved in this section.
Wow, I did not realise that cukes could be done this early in the season, we have yet to get any but they should start this week. So far we are just getting snow pea pods and yellow squash but I saw we have some watermelon starting to grow but they are pretty small at this point. It's strange that I yet to see any Cantaloupe, although the vines are growing just fine. What variety of Cantaloupe do you grow? No green beans either[Sad], as of yet. Glad to read that your drip irrigation system is working for you there. Any pics of your garden you want to share with us?
[signature]
I don't recall which melons I used but I did plant Blue lake Green Beans. They are still producing even after my dog dug a whole in the middle of the row. Guess she was hot that day. lol Watermelon is growing as well and winter squash look good so far. Hope this heat wave doesn't do the vines in, even with the irrigation. Planted more Sulfer Beans. They do very well down here. I've learned to purchase more seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange as these seeds are more adapted to this weather. It's all a learning process. My apple trees have never been trimmed and both have cider rust on them. They will be this winters firewood. [Wink] My outside read 109 in the sun yesterday. We just have to hold on till Saturday night for a break here. God willing I'll be back fishing Monday. [cool]
[signature]
Sulphur Bush Dry Bean, 28 gHeirloomEspecially well-suited to the SoutheastFrom Small Farms
Sulphur Bush Dry Bean, 28 gClick to Enlarge
$2.95

Add
(Golden Cranberry, China Yellow) 55 days fresh shell bean, 85 days dry bean. [~1839. First known as ‘China Yellow.’] Known for its short cooking time, distinctive flavor and its ability to form a thick gravy when baked or boiled. An old favorite, highly respected and much in demand by the mountain folks of North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, though less productive than other bush beans. Well-branched, spreading plants with phlox-pink colored flowers. 5 in. long pods, 5 beans/pod. Yellow-tan seeds. Pkt (~76 seeds)
Item # 13451
[signature]
There is a variety of Cantaloupe called a krenshaw, have you ever heard of them? They get about twice the size of a normal Cantaloupe but they taste about the same. I had never tried them before last year but I liked them so much and they grew so well, that I planted them again this year. Every year I try something new, if I like it I'll keep growing them. This year I'm trying kale, so far I like it, some people say it is bitter but I thought it was good.
[signature]