Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I make these fish hit???
[pirate] [size 1]I fished Grand Lake yesterday for macks and had a bunch of fish come up off the bottom and just stare at my jigs. No matter what I did, I could not make 'em hit it. I tried letting it hang there dead stick, gently swimming it up a foot or two, reeling up fast 3 or 4 feet (and more), dropping it back down some.....everything I could think of. They almost always would follow it up, but not hit. Some would follow it down and hang there with it again. Eventually they would swim back the 3-6 feet to the bottom. I was fishing water 50' to 75' deep. I was using tube jigs of various colors (glow, pearl, chartreuse, hot pink, white, and olive) tipped with sucker meat. Even had 'em come look at a 6" long bunny jig with the same result. Any tips on what to do to make these fish hit??? [/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
I would suggest trying a smaller bait. If that doesn't work try using lighter line. I wouldn't go below 6 lb. test, I'd hate to hook into a big mack on anything less. If you do happen to hook a large fish on 6 lb. test you need to stick your rod tip into the hole to avoid snapping the line on the ice at the bottom of the hole. I hope this helps!
[signature]
Hey there DonInDenver, we don't have any Macks down here in Cali but I'm sure the BearLakeMack could also help you on the UT board.
[signature]
I think you need to tap their "instinct" at that point. I think fish hit different baits for different reasons. The tube jig and sucker meat is trying to get them to strike because they are hungry. Sounds like those fish really weren't that hungry. Try dropping a spoon on them. The falling of the spoon will get them to strike based upon their hardwiring to eat easy meals. They may not be hungry, but will still strike the spoon because of it's fast falling fluttering action. I think they call this a "reaction strike". Could be worth a shot.
[signature]
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help.
[signature]
i'de try the "roadkill tubes " on a cast and retrive rather than a vertical jig presentation . [cool]

that should do it for you .[Wink]
[signature]