Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield, Grow fish Grow!
It took nearly 30 years for the chubs to disappear from Starvation. And that was with a spawning population of Walleye. No additional stocking required. Very little harvest of the Walleyes. Contrast that with having to stock Tiger Muskies, Wipers (which haven't shown up in gill nets or creels), Tiger Trout (that aren't showing up in creels very often either), Cutthroats (that no one wants to catch).

I'm tired of waiting.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
go to youtube and look up this years gill net by the dwr. There were several very large tiger trout and cutthroat caught , along with a couple tiger muskies. I also know of several tiger musky that have been caught this year (20- 24") The cutthroats this year are much healthier than the past few years. No more 12" snake like fish.
My sons and I were their 2 weeks ago and had very fast action on 12-14" cutthroats. We also caught a couple that were pushing 20" And 2 tiger trout 1 @ 13" and 1 @ 20"
I myself have noticed a lot of improvement
I guess they could have sped things up with a rotone treatment, But the est cost 3 years ago was 1.5 million. That money bought a lot of fish. Biologists are trying a new approach , and I am already seeing good days ahead
[signature]
IMO the reason for the improved fishing at Scofield this year was somewhat because of the introduction of some new predators but more importantly was the fact that we had a great water year in 2016-2017 and the reservoir filled for the first time in six years and the water quality inproved.[Smile]

We'll have to see how well the fish do next year with the lower water levels and higher water temperatures this year. Knowing how they manage Scofield water, don't expect to see much left in it by the end of the irrigation season.[:/]
[signature]
I enjoyed reading the threads on the options on Schofield from my original post. One really good thing about fishing there right now is you almost have the lake to yourself and you do catch LOTS of fish. I’ve been there once very late in the fall and twice this year and that’s been the case, but not one over 14” and nothing but cuts and a few rainbows. And (3 chubs) Whoever posted about catching some Big fish. I guess I need a lesson?? Even though I consider myself to be way better than average, I’m not a power bait on the bottom kind of fisherman. I’m sure the only reason I say and do that is because my Dad said and did the exact same thing. Time to swallow my pride? What was and is the ticket for the big ones? [Smile]. If it’s power bait on the bottom by the island, I’m heading to Walmart[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Almost all the fish I have caught at SF this year have come on tube jigs tipped with chub or worms. That includes the 8 lb. bow. White and pearl are the best colors for me. Most often a slow retrieval letting it drop almost to bottom. I also keep a second pole suspended below the boat with the same setup. It was all below the boat acton monday. It was just like ice fishing. Alot of fish in the slot Monday.
[signature]
I'm sorry, your asking the wrong guy about the big ones. I have fished it twice this year and caught almost all cutthroats between 13" - 15" long.

I did catch two 19" rainbows but they were the recently stocked brood fish back in May.[:/]

I pretty much just fly fish now but back in the day the old worm & marshmellow was hard to be beat.[Wink]
[signature]
All are fish were caught using either a pistol pete behind a bubble full of water(letting it sink down ) and a slow retrievel, or jakes lures. There were people fishing around us using bait , but we were catching 5 fish to their one.
we did catch a fair amount of chubs, and a bunch of 10-14" cuts. But did manage a couple decent fish as mentioned
[signature]
Next time up there I’ll try it! Took a break and visited Strawberry last Friday. Wasn’t even trying to Kokanee since I heard the guy at Renegade tell someone that the Hot Koke fishing was pretty much over. I should have known not to listen. Fished for Cutts and rainbows. Caught 15 or so until left early because of lightning. About ready to target bass for awhile or try your tube jig rig at Scofield? Thx!!
[signature]
[quote cdbrc]Three of us fished Scolfied Monday and had a blast. Only three chubs even tho we tried to catch some for bait. The bright side was the 67 cuts and bows, alot of them in the slot. All fish were very healthy and strong fighters especally on my utlralite pole. I see good things for Scofield in the coming years. Oh by the way the biggest fish I've got at SF this year was a 8 pound 1os. Bow that was a natural fish, not a planter. He is still in there to let you know that all is not lost. Go fish it and have fun. Oh and dont drink any more viniger.[/quote]

Do you have a picture of this 8lb wild bow? Not saying i don't believe you but the DWR did stock a bunch of big bows last year that were 25" plus fish to tide anglers over while the wipers and TM grow. Several of them have been caught already. I would love to see the picture if you have it. An 8lb wild rainbow from scofield is not an average fish by any means.
[signature]
Poison it now! Let’s get some decent fish in there while I’m still young enough to cast!
[signature]
Here's a picture of the big bow, hopefully. If it doesn't work I will try again. It was 8#1 oz. A a smige over 27 inches. It had no signs of hatchery rash. Also caught three others that day at different spots that were brude stock. It was very evident that they were brude stock.
[signature]
What size pistol Pete’s? #10 or #6? Colors that worked best?[reply][/reply]
[signature]
#6 in Black Leech type
[signature]
Pretty fish way to go!!! J
[signature]