Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for the Yellowstone
After much research, I've decided that the Yellowstone is likely to be one of the streams I give a try on my upcoming trip. Anyone have any advice they want to impart?
[signature]
Which Yellowstone River? I used to prefer the one on the South Slope of the Uintas as it’s more scenic and less fished. However with Brookies overrunning the place it’s just not that good of fishing anymore. Now I haven’t fished the Yellowstone in the Park for well over a decade so I’ll let other prepare you for the combat fishing there. While the Park has plenty of fine fishing my advice is to leave some time to fish the tremendous streams that are overlooked just outside the Park. I always like the Forks of the Shoshone but the brutes from Cody Resevoir are probably all back home after making upto a 100 mile round trip spawning run. Try the Snake, Gros Ventre, Salt River, Grays and even the little Salt Creek if you travel through Wyoming on your way up or back. Even the tiny Salt Creek will produce plenty of 15-18 inch Cutts that will readily hit a hopper in August. Good Luck with Yellowstone River and the trout that will have seen thousands of flies casted to them by August but have a back up plan if your serious about fishing on your trip.
[signature]
A long time ago, in a...

..nevermind...

Here's an idea for you, if you're headed to Yellowstone NP.

Go up to Tower Falls. Hike down to the river and try fishing it there. You won't have the crowds.
We did this a long time ago, and caught a number of cutts.
[signature]
[quote woodman60]After much research, I've decided that the Yellowstone is likely to be one of the streams I give a try on my upcoming trip. Anyone have any advice they want to impart?[/quote]

Guess I should have been more specific even though this is a Utah forum. I'm going to hit some combination of the Duchesne, Rock Creek, Lake Fork, Yellowstone and maybe even as far as Uinta River.
[signature]
Skip Lake Fork and add White Rocks to your list. As far as the Duchesne goes it’s all good but the West Fork is my favorite part. If you fish Rock Creek strongly consider getting an Indian Permit. I prefer the Uinta and White Rocks (don’t bother with the Indian permit here) over the Yellowstone for fishing. The Yellowstone is the prettiest but I’d only venture up if it’s really hot out as it stays noticeably cooler than along the other streams. Try below the small reservoir and above the campground but as mentioned the brookies overran that fishery to its detriment. They should have a no release policy on brookies as it would be easy to clean out a hundred of those mice in a weekend alone.
[signature]
Thanks Riverdog. This is some good info. Was looking at the Uinta, but didn't know if I wanted to go that far since I'll ultimately be in Park City for business later in the week. New plan may be to shoot all the way out to Uinta or Whiterocks and work my way back over two days.
[signature]
Don’t get overly ambitious that’s a good weeks worth of fishing between them. A lot of driving and not all of it fast. Hanna Utah to the campground on Yellowstone is a good 2 hour drive for me and I scare my passengers when I haul up those rough dirt roads. Now the various parts of the Duchesne aren’t a bad drive from Park City.
[signature]
Another question. I'm trying to find out where I can by a tribal fishing permit. Called the Fish and Wildlife office on the Reservation and they said I could only do that at the store in Fort Duchesne. That would add even more driving well east of many of the spots I might fish...like Rock Creek for example.

Is it true that you can't buy a permit at some other vendor in Park City or Heber City?

Thanks again.
[signature]
Unfortunately it’s always been that way so unless it has changed recently you have to go to the front of the store and get the permit in person. Give the Ute Tribe a call if you want to see if anything changed. They do have their own regulations that you need to be familiar with if you do fish there. http://www.utetribe.com/permits.html.
If you don’t get the permit I’d target primarily the Uinta one day and the West Fork of the Duchesne the next. If you get the permit I prefer Rock Creek on Tribal Land over the Uinta. The permit might be a pain but it’s good water that doesn’t get hit as hard because of the hassle with the permit.
[signature]
I couldn't get your link to work.
[signature]
I went to redo the link but it appears the website isn’t working right now.
[signature]