Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Trip
Hey guys,

I finally got a chance to take the boat out on Lake Mead today. I launched at 6am from Horsepower Cove and trolled swim baits up Hemingway to Saddle Isle and back a few times. Not so much as a strike. I also tried a red and white Clouser hoping I might be able to catch a small one on the fly. No such luck... I finally called it a day in the afternoon. The lake had quite a few boats trolling the trout plants and not one person I saw caught a fish. In 8hrs I saw two hit something on the top. I couldn't tell size and that was all I saw of any fish except carp.

It was a productive day. I got to explore a good bit of the lake and I'm still really getting familiar with my boat. I have the fish finder, but haven't installed it yet. I'll be doing that this week.

Maybe next time I'll catch a fish. If not, there's still plenty of lake I need to explore. I'm not the biggest fan of trolling, but I'll be doing alot of it as I get familiar with Mead.

I did note some carp feeding on a midge hatch. I'd of stopped and caught a couple, but at the time my fly rod wasn't rigged and I was concentrating on striper. That was earlier in the morning as I was starting. In retrospect I should've stopped and tried for a few. It was the only fish I noticed actively feeding all day.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]
[cool]Hey Telbone, Its fun to play with new things ain't it? You'll have that boat set up in no time. If you can swing it, the NDOW will plant every friday til march 12. That is your best chance at a striper. At least now while the water is still cold. You may also try anchovies on a drift. Once you get the fishfinder going it will be easier to drop in on them. Good luck.
[signature]
great report telbone - sorry you didnt get into any fish this time . . . i might try the trout plants this friday...

sm
[signature]
Thanks for the encouragement guys...

I'm going back next chance I get... I finally got my package in from cabelas... I bought a drift sock, LED navigation lights, a flourescent bright green light for night fishing, and a couple of planer boards for controlled depth trolling. I can still use my med poles with these boards and accurately control trolling depth to 200'. I wish I'd of had this stuff while fishing Monday, but it arrived Monday afternoon after I was done, go figure. Maybe one night this week I'll hit Overton and drop that green light for crappie.. I already owned a white submersible light so the combo should be plenty. Can anyone give me advice on a good spot.

Later guys,
Mark
[signature]