Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Power
Heya guys,

I just bought a small electric motor for my boat. I'm thinking about rigging it up hook to my float tube as well. I've never been that enamored with powering my float tube, but there are a couple of lakes I fish that I truly need it. It just isn't feasible to kick around them. Last year on one of them, I spent 3/4ths of my fishing time kicking to the areas I wanted to fish. Unfortunately a couple are at opposite ends of the lake.

Cabeles has a power system for float tubers, but I don't like the price tag. I only plan to use power on my tube a few trips a year, the majority of the time I'll still be kicking. I was thinking an innertube could be strapped to the back of my tube. A battery box and motor mount would both be easy to make and put in the center of the power tube, and I'll probably mount the transducer for the fish finder there as well. From what I can tell, that's what cabelas is basically.

Has anyone ever tried this? I've thought about it before, but buying a battery and motor for 2 trips a year didn't seem worth it. Now that I have them, I'll probably try to build it.

Thanks,
Mark
[signature]
I don't know how well they work but i've seen similar in other books beside cabela's
[signature]
That's actually cheaper than the one I had priced at Cabelas. I don't think Cabelas carries them any longer as I couldn't pull it up. I have a caddis navigator II and I was thinking of getting a small inner tube and cutting a disk that will sit in it. Cut out a space for a battery box and put a mount for the motor. I'd also put a quick release for my fishfinder's transducer and speed/temp sensor. I'd also outfit it with a two rod holder... anyhow, just some ideas. I probably won't even mess with it... I'll drag my boat up for the larger lakes. I'd prefer to fish out of my tube over a boat. I have a bad back and the tube is much more comfortable to me than any boat. There are a few places that require the boat though.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply... I'll let ya know if I make anything.

Mark
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Telbone, thanks for dropping in to our little "tubatorium". I'll toss out some thoughts for you. Sorry I missed your post yesterday. It was one of those days that starts out bad, gets worse and then goes downhill from there.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have gone through uncounted different tube systems over the past 40 plus years of tubing. While I have never had the yen to profane the pristine art of float tubing with a motor, I have sometimes wished for some assisted power. Those long kicks across big waters...or fighting back to your vehicle against the wind...those will make you rethink your priorities.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Quite a few folks are rigging pontoons with electrics these days. But, when you sit completely out of the water, in a pontoon, the physics of operating a motor without anatomical mishap are simpler. When you have a good part of your lower extremities in the water, as with a tube or kickboat, you not only have more drag for the motor to work against, but you have to pay attention to where you put the motor and which direction it propels you.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Ideally, an electric would fit on the back, and pull you backwards, so that your feet would trail out behind you. That would require a remote steering mechanism that you could work without having to turn clear around in your craft to operate the controls.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have seen the various contraptions that have been fashioned for adding electric power to a tube. One of the most ingenious I saw...in a magazine...was a rig where the guy inflated a 16" car inner tube around a sturdy plastic box in the middle. He put a heavy duty marine battery in the box, and clamped the electric motor on one end. When he wanted to "motate", he brought the power unit around to the front of his craft, propped his legs (and fins) up on the sides of the tube and had the motor pulling him forward. Once he got where he wanted to fish, he either anchored the motor rig for later use, while he fished, or tethered it to the back of his craft.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have always liked the idea of simple, hands-free tubing. That's what it is all about. Yeah, there are times when you could get the job done better and faster with auxiliary power. But, as you pointed out, that's what they make boats and pontoons for. There is no "one size fits all" solution. And, it ain't illegal to have more than one system. There are plenty of folks who combine tubes, 'tunes and boats in their fishing arsenal.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you do rig something up, be sure to shoot some pictures and post them for us to look at.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
They sell this floating thing to put motor and battery on then it floats behind you. Just remember as soon as you put a motor on it in California you have to register it.

I would check with DMV and USGS to confirm.
[signature]
If you use an electric motor on your tube, you have to register it in Utah as well.

I am learning much by reading this forum. Thanks for all the information. I didn't know that Tube Dude had such a knowledgeable fisherman son. I should have guessed, however!

Lloyd
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Lloyd, my friend, I think this is your first official visit to our humble forum. Welcome, and thanks for the kind comments. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Have you finally completed the mountain of work you had, so that you can reprioritize your life...and get in some more fishing? I saw the post Kent put up about ice fishing "with Lloyd". Was that you? If so, well done.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I hope you are able to get the Kennebec out on the water this year and get some more of those tasty walleyes. Or, do you have another epic journey planned to some other faroff point on the map?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Stop in anytime. I'm sure you will have fun with us.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hello good friend,

I have finally decided that I needed to put first things first! I still have a lot of work to do, but I am not going to let it rule my life any longer. (I wonder how long I will keep this resolution!) Anyway, I had a great ice fishing trip with Kent and Ira. Hope to get out fishing on a regular basis from now on. I plan on some "Kennebec" outings this year. I am all hooked up with all of the goodies you showed me how to add to the tube. Thanks for sharing all your wisdom. I still hope we can get out fishing together sometime this year!

Lloyd
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Lloyd, I am also looking forward to flailing the water in your company. However, it appears that our move is likely to be delayed for an indeterminate amount of time.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]My mother cannot be moved, and she has decided she is enjoying her life in Arizona. Until she lets go and rejoins my dad, my responsibilities are to keep her comfortable. All things happen in their appointed time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In the meantime, I am counting on you to get out and find all the best spots. When I get up there, you can provide guide service. It's been a long time since I worked those waters and I probably need to learn them all over again. I promise to do my best to make up for lost time.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll do it!

Lloyd
[signature]