Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Golden trout
We've been planning for a long time to go to the Uintas to try for some golden trout. We decided on the various lakes in Murdock Basin, especially Echo. This Saturday, tomorrow, finally worked out as a doable day. Then the KSL article came out and we're concerned that a jillion people will be up there. Argh! My question is, is there a part of the lake or other lakes there that would be less likely to be hit by the masses? And could anyone suggest flies, spinners, bait, etc. that would work well. Feel free to pm me if that works for you. Many thanks in advance.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I hav not been down Murdock Basin road for quite a few years but back then the road was not one for a car. Always found double renegade and elk hair caddis to be hood flies in the Uinta lakes. Good luck.
[signature]
I went down that road a few years ago and I will never take my truck back in there again. It is a rough ride. if you have a wheeler I would recommend taking it. Once in there however, the fishing was non stop for several hours. As far as the crowd, I think the road will thin them way down. Good Luck! let us know how you do
[signature]
I agree the road is still rough and I would take a side by side in there. the road alone will keep the masses down. Fishing is Great! Not much to size but they hit flies on top and under! royal wolf, caddis, duns, midges, emergers, they are not picky! let us know how you do.

P.S. joan lake has some great brookies! steep climb but worth it! last pick is at joan lake
[signature]
It has been 40 years ago for me. Still Great memories. Caught three of the prettiest fish in Utah. There are two other lakes you can hike too.
Its worth the long rough ride.
[signature]
In addition to flies one can catch them non-stop with a small jig under a bobber tipped with a chunk of night crawler.
[signature]
Masses or no masses, you shouldn't have any issues catching one at Echo. My last trip there, they were taking my friend's spent shells from his sunflower seeds. I tried to fashion a quick dry fly with one, but the shell kept splitting.

They'll bite a padlock with the right presentation. Only half joking.

It's also a pretty big lake, so there should be enough room to find a spot.

The road is crap. You'll probably find the bottom of your suspension.
[signature]
Everything you said was true. We caught plenty and had a blast. Thanks.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks. When we go again I'll plan more time and hit Joan and Marshall for the bigger brooks.
[signature]