Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo canyon help
Hey there I'm new to fly fishing. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some advice on what kind of flys to use in Provo canyon. Any thing would be appreciated thank you.
[signature]
[quote Lanny177]Hey there I'm new to fly fishing. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some advice on what kind of flys to use in Provo canyon. Any thing would be appreciated thank you.[/quote]

We've always had luck with bh hares ears size 16-18. Caddis larvae and casing imitations were also good. Look for caddis hatches this time of year, that can be fun.
[signature]
Go on youtube and search fishing the Provo river. There is a ton of information on both fly selection and technique.
[signature]
Right now there's a PMD hatch in the early evening, and then there is a caddis hatch right before dark. (Note: the PMD's are quite large, so I might be mis-identifying them. I've had to use darker patterns than my usual, relatively light-toned PMD patterns.) I'd start (when there is still light on the water) with caddis or pmd nymphs, weighted so they'll ride fairly low in the water column. As it gets toward evening, switch to PMD emergers, or unweighted nymphs. An Iron Lotus in PMD colors is not a bad choice. Or try a caddis emerger, such as a Lafontaine's caddis (in around size 12). The real action is at dark. Switch to a high floating dry caddis while you still have light to see. Or try a PMD spinner if the caddis isn't working.

It also really helps to carry a headlamp. You can use an elk hair caddis and do fine, but I've converted this year to Lance Egan's Corn Fed Caddis. It is highly visible and also has a very natural profile, which is the combination I've always looked for with caddis flies but had a hard time coming up with. You can fish it naturally, or fish it down stream and skate it across the surface of the water.

Those are the patterns I'd recommend right now. I'm not the best person on the river, so i think there must be a few folks that have some subtle nymphing ideas that I have not yet figured out.

Once these hatches are over, you can always fish during the day with standard patterns like small midges, WD-40s, scuds, and soft hackles. I obey the rule of switching depth before switching flies. If you are nymphing and not getting fish, add weight till your flight is bumping the rocks on the bottom now and then. If you are never snagging up, you're probably not in the fish.

As we get into fall, you can also try large terrestrials and streamers. You can also skate a large terrestrial pattern (hopper, large ants, etc.) across the surface sometimes and provoke strikes.

Good luck and see you out on the water!
[signature]