Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new fishing buey marker law proposed
Marking fishing holes an ethics issue The Grand Rapids Press reports that when Rep. Michael Sak, D-Grand Rapids, called last fall to say he wanted to amend current laws in order to keep anglers from denying others access to prime fishing holes, one might have thought he was overreacting. The issue initially seemed to be a local problem, something that might be handled by just airing the issue publicly. Not so. Sak introduced legislation last week to make it illegal to mark a fishing hole with a buoy unless an angler, guide or his client is actively fishing the hole. It is simple legislation that may require some tweaking, but Sak is on the right track. "What this will do is clarify just what people can and can not do," he said. "People shouldn't have the right to go out and mark a spot and deny other anglers the right to fish that spot when they are not there actively fishing it." "Rep. Sue Tabor (R-Delta Township) has said she is willing to hold committee meetings on the bill which will allow for some dialogue, clarification and debate." That public discussion will be worth a lot. This contentious issue surfaced last summer when Press reporter Howard Meyerson wrote about the problem on the Muskegon and St. Joseph Rivers where a couple of commercial fishing guides had been using floating buoys to reserve fishing holes. They marked them while they ran downstream to land a fish, or they marked them as their own so they could fish it later once their client arrived. In both cases, they intended to keep others out. Recreational anglers and other guides got pretty steamed. It was the guides' audacity that got people riled. These men make their living off a public resource, funded mostly by recreational angler's dollars. But rather than foster an air of grateful cooperation, they unleashed the ugly specter of personal avarice. Most anglers cooperate with each other and extend one another some basic courtesy. Step away from a fishing hole to land a fish and most will respect another's space on the river. The guides in question, however, might be gone from sight for 20 to 30 minutes. Then they would return and insist that new anglers vacate their marked spot. It was unacceptable behavior. Private profits do not trump public fishing rights on public waters. There is nothing illegal about marking a spot. The issue until now has been one of angler ethics. The DNR believes a new law is unnecessary. "We think we have a statute in place to deal with this issue -- the angler harassment law," said Dennis Knapp, the legislative liaison for the DNR. "We don't feel we need an additional statute to deal with an issue like this." Lt. Dave Pearl with the DNR's law enforcement division said the angler harassment law makes it illegal for a person to intentionally or knowingly block or impede or harass another who is lawfully fishing. The law's original intent was to protect anglers from harassment by animal rights supporters. "It would hold up if someone was trying to prevent another from fishing a particular hole," Pearl said. That includes the situation of a fishing guide returning to a hole after 20 minutes and telling another they had to leave. On the other hand, the current law does not address the practice of dropping a buoy to mark a fishing hole, nor the obstruction to fishing caused because its anchor line would likely snag any fishing line drifting through. In that case, Pearl said anglers have other recourse. "If no one is around, then it's been abandoned," he said. "You can pull it up and put it in your boat ... just don't throw it on shore. That's littering. "We don't want to create a confrontation between anglers. If someone marks a hole and you want to fish it and they say, 'That's my marker.' then the thing to do is contact a law enforcement agency," Pearl said. Doing that, of course, means hours before any action could be taken. It assumes anglers have cell phones or that guilty parties will stick around or could be identified. It presumes a conservation officer has time to investigate. It assumes that driftboat anglers who complain can specify the bend on the river where the confrontation took place. That's a lot of maybes, and not much hard result. It would be far simpler to change the law and make the practice a no-no. Source: Grand Rapids Press [signature]
[signature]
now thats just plain nonsence, next thing ya know we will have to be paying rent for gps locations to the state just to drop in a fishing line.

the only legal methods of marking a hole it to place a perminate structure on the spot. (ake shanty) other than that it is first come first serve.

there needs to be no more legislation on this issue. that one line is all that is required. sounds like to me they have something else in mind they want to pass along side this. (tag-a-long laws)

man it already takes me a week to read the rule book now. this is getting rediculous. I used to be able to read the entire book in an hour and know every thing there was to know about fishing in michigan, now I have to have a degree in law just to buy a fishing license. what a jip!

I sure could find more usefull ways of spending our fishing license dollars than diverting in to legislator pay checks for wimsical litigation.[mad]

thanks for posting this AL... I was looking for a reason to get back up on my soap box. lol[Wink]
[signature]
dang ..whats going on with all this? in bass turnys ..if a guy throws a bouy .. its for him too back off the hole and fish ..now if he leaves the spot..and leaves the bouy too come back later .. any one can fish that spot ..the DNR are losing it alittle if you ask me ..now if i was just fishing and a guy had a bouy set ..i wouldnt pull up too the bouy and fish ..nor would i fish right next too some one ..i think dave is right ..spend our money on some thing worth wild ..so are they gonna make it illeagle too use a bouy? no more contests on lakes ..we already have too pay them too use the parking lots ..if your in a club fishing for money ..when i first got in a bass club .we didnt have too pay too use the parking lots and boat launch.. just like i said before everytime the DNR gets there hands on things they mess things up ..just like killing all the weeds in the lakes ...let me know when they have another meeting .i'll be sure too show up ...[mad]
[signature]
ain't it funny how that ol' box just sprouts outta the ground ?[Smile]

i think this was brought on by a couple of greedy S.S.T. (Salmon, Steelhead,Trout) guides on the rivers marking all the sweet spots at the rivers , no one else could fish them .

other guides and fishermen had to search elsewhere . after a few complaints about river hogging , well the dnr had to step in . those other guides couldn't make any money , and thats there bread and butter .if you get two or three guide services in ca-hoots , well theres a whole section of the river closed off to everyone else but them .

Now , could you immagine what would happen if a few peta members went over to tippy and tossed out a buey each ? they could close off the dam area and could hog the entire run so that none could go fishing .

i say if your not there fishing , it's not your spot to call buoy or not . you have to be there physically fishing it .

in bassass's case , well , it's time for a few calls to the bass clubs and orgisinations and fire up some steam over the proposed law before it's too late .

i don't fully understand the tournament "buey law" or how it works , but a provision should be made IF AND BEFORE the proposed law goes to vote .
[signature]
we better get this info out to the club , sure would mess things up if they slip this one in on the tourney guys .
[signature]