Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry kokes and big cuts
Posting just to let some know one way to catch big cuts
Wife and I had are 8 kokes by 7:30 never had time to look at the fishfinder

pulled all are koke lures in and went after cutthroat trout just to let people know
that some big cuts are in open water and down deep. and can be caught trolling

you can see the cuts under the kokanee and chubs.

what I was using was all hard stuff glow in the dark that I made like J Plug that I made for lake trout.
cut plug and jerkbait like a ( rapala)
the glow was green and blue (I have posted Pictures of the stuff I made

fishing in 75 FOW down riggers down 55 to 63 feet using 4 downriggers
some of the lures I was using will dive 5 to 10 feet maybe more.
did not catch one cut under 20" fished 1 1/2 hours for them
did not count how many we got, one time we had all 4 poles in that got cuts.
most were good fighters.

water temp down 63 feet was 48.7 deg.
[signature]
Thanks for the information Robert.

Just a couple questions. Do you happen to know what the “Comfort Water Temperature” is for Cutthroat Trout? And do you troll faster for the Cutts than you do for Kokanee?

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
Temperatures between 50 and 65 degrees are prime for brown and rainbow trout. Brook trout and cutthroat trout evolved in slightly colder conditions, so they prefer slightly colder water.

speed depends on the lures you use
I was going less than 1.7 mph I did make it up to 2.2 but that was to fast.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I always wait for fall to troll for cuts. It sounds like this is one of those cases where you can catch them anytime if you go to where the fish are.
[signature]
If I may ask where was the Kokes caught?
[signature]
if I told you that I would not be able to fish there any more
they would thank me by running over my lines and boat
[signature]
Robert I feel very sorry for you that the fisherman you hang with are such poor sportsman that they would run over your lines or damage you boat. you should get to know the great sportsman hear on BFT who are so willing to share and help others. The people you seem to know are very selfish and self centered. Considering in a very short time many of these fish will die after the spawn. Would it be so bad to help someone harvest a few? I have been so impressed with the sportsman on this site and the help they give to others, some times a personal e mail when they don't want to give the whole world all their secret info, but still willing to help. I hope you will look for better associates and if you are this type of person (birds of a feather hang together) I hope you will follow the main body of BFT and become a better sportsman.
[signature]
I would bet I help more fisherman than you do

I have posted GPS way points on BFT and you know what happened

If you don't like my post don't read them

I think I will stop posting all to gather

and how many guys from BFT do you take fishing

I take over 10 a year and show them where I fish and how.
pulse give them all the kokanee we catch
[signature]
Bullelk01,

I hope that you are kidding. If not go back and read some of "LikeTrolling" post and watch his videos on YouTube, he has been more than willing to give advise to the folks on this fourm. He is a great guy to fish with. A few years ago I asked him some questions about using downriggers, his answer was come out with me in my boat and I will show you everything I know about using downriggers.

He is always sharing information, like what he was using, how deep he was fishing, what the water temperature was, how fast he was trolling, and more. He may not give out the exact coordinates of where he was fishing, which is wise, because the fish are always moving and may not be there the next day. Besides it's not to hard to know where the Kokanee are on a given day, just go to where all the boats are trolling. Or be adventures and spend some time as "LikeTrolling" does and search for a different area away from everyone else.

He has taken out lots of people that he has never met before, when they are willing to meet up with him very early in the morning. He has taken Boy Scouts out. And it seems like one time I remember him taking out some bank fishermen that he met at the boat dock.

Good Luck
[signature]
Sorry BE, but you have misjudged Robert (Likestrolling). You may want to get to know him better before making your judgement. Probably no more helpful person when it comes to kokanee fishing here or on any forum.
[signature]
[quote bullelk01] I hope you will look for better associates .[/quote]

Seriously dude? It just so happens that his “associates “ are many of the most prominent members on this board. I have fished with him twice and he is beyond generous in sharing knowledge. He also is highly knowledgeable and it was fun going back and forth on what works for him. Calling him out as a sportsman is laughable. I’m sorry that he didn’t tell you what you wanted to know but sometimes one doesn’t get what one wants on demand.
[signature]
Do you expect someone to pinpoint where they caught fish, so you and the several hundreds of others who view this forum could go to the exact area and fish? Do your own homework and if someone is willing to help you out, in a PM, consider yourself lucky. It is easy to find out where kokanee are being caught, or at least have been caught recently, just look up and see where the majority of the boats are trolling.

Robert has generously provided more helpful information about where and how to catch kokanee than anyone else on this forum.
[signature]
Can I assume from the Angry response I am getting from some people that you are the ones that would run over his lines and damage his boat. I can see his reluctance in sharing. My apologies Robert . I now understand your position.
[signature]
[quote bullelk01]Can I assume from the Angry response I am getting from some people that you are the ones that would run over his lines and damage his boat. I can see his reluctance in sharing. My apologies Robert . I now understand your position.[/quote]

Sorry pal, I don’t have a boat, and I doubt the other respondents would do it either. I might suggest to you that Robert was being sarcastic.
[signature]
Your expertise for misjudgment is epic. Most of the people on this forum try to keep things friendly. With your 48 posts, you have not learned much. You may get more positive responses with a little more positive requests.
[signature]
I just want to add my cents. Thank you Robert for all the detailed and helpful information you have provided on this forum. I have learned so much from your posts. It would be a shame if you quit posting because of one person. You are a true sportsman! Please continue to share for the benefit of the rest of us.
[signature]
Robert is one of the best members of this forum, and I have him to blame(thank him) for becoming a decent koke fisherman myself. I would wager that the sport has changed because of some of his input and will only get better.
[signature]
Its not so much the problem with the guys on the board as I see it but the thousands of LURKERS who aren't members but come here for any information they can glean and not contribute anything back.
[signature]
I seemed to have created a problem and for that I am sorry. I will be leaving BFT because I can see that it is not for me. I am not the avid fisherman that many of you are. I was an elk hunter for 50 years. in that sport there are few elk for many hunters. there secrecy is common to protect your honey hole. as far as people running over lines and damaging you boat we have had trail cams stolen and damaged, tree stand ripped down ect. so I understand how those things happen. as for contributing to this form I will be the first to admit I have nothing to contribute. I sold my hunting trailer this spring and bought my first boat. I have almost sank it once by not putting the plug in it. My wife loves to fish and I am doing all I can to give her the best experience possible. Because I am learning I hope you can see why I don't contribute. I am as you call it a lurker because that is how I have learned what I have, that and asking questions. When the wife and I go fishing I mostly operate the boat and downriggers, she catches all the fish. I owe this to her for the years we fished little and I hunted a lot. I know there are many good sportsman in each sport and there is some bad ones that create situations that are not favorable. sometimes we forget and focus on these people not understanding. I just wanted you all to know a little more of the mindset on my end and would like to say I am sorry for any drama or problems I caused. most of all to Robert. Again I am truly sorry. There is to much anger in the world today and I do not want to be a part of it and I am sorry if I have caused any or been a part of it. I truly hope Robert will see this and understand. I would like to thank all who have helped and answered my questions and helped where they could. I will get off my soap box now as well as BFT I see I don't belong here until I am learned enough to contribute. Once again sorry to all.
[signature]
No need to leave. Just take this as a learning experience and stick around and gather all of the information that you can. All of us, at some time, were exactly at the same point you are in our fishing career. When I got my first boat I had no clue where to fish and how to fish from a boat. Had Robert answered your question, on this thread, there literally would have been over 100 boats (I don't believe I am exaggerating) fishing that exact spot. The power of the Internet is amazing.

Not everyone is in a position that they can contribute, at this point in their fishing career, but if they are willing to learn and continue fishing they will be at a point sometime in the future. If not, there still is nothing wrong with learning everything you can from others. Also, if one sends a PM to a member, and asks nicely, they often will be more than willing to offer whatever assistance they can. They just don't want to share too much information on the open forum for everyone to read.
[signature]