Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More smoke than fish at Lincoln
With the news that all of Utah Lake was under a warning advisory for HAB’s, Dave and I decided to try it one more time before they close it again! Well maybe they won’t close it, but it made a good excuse to go. We got to the ramp at Lincoln a bit before 6 AM with the intent to try and get some young of the year whites before heading out.

There seemed to be decent surface activity but they didn’t like my tiny flies with worm on them. I did pick up 2 adults though. While we were at it ice_sled joined us. He got enough for the day just as we were launching Dave’s pontoon.
The water in the channel read 2 to 2.5 feet on the way out. Water temp was 72 and there were some patches of greenish scum toward the back of the harbor. There were also some clumps of the more blue green stuff on the shore. Once out in the main lake the algae were only little bits here and there.

We started off down by the orchards in 5 to 6 FOW and it was pretty slow. We gave it an hour or so and picked up two cats around 20.” Just as we were plotting where to go next, I got a hit on my “bigger baits, bigger fish” rig. The fish had good weight and headed for middle of the lake at a moderate but strong pace. “Oh goody,” I thought, “this feels like a really good one.” After losing about 40 yards of line I leaned on the fish to see if could turn it or slow it down. “You better follow this one with the boat, I said. “IS he going to spool you?” “Not yet, but I can’t slow him down.” We had just stowed the electric, so Dave fired up the 115 and eased us in the direction the fish was headed. After a few minutes I saw the flash of a tail. “It’s a carp,” I said in disbelief. I have never had a carp hit an 8” strip of white bass before. The next time the fish surfaced things got even weirder. It seemed to be hooked in the front of the dorsal fin, but I saw my white bass chunk with both hooks dragging about 12” behind its tail.

I leaned on it harder to cut down on the lost catfishing time, but the “hook” held. When we got it in the net, neither of us could believe it, there was no hook in it at all. I had a walking sinker on a dropper line with a barrel swivel at the top so a fish could run with the bait without dragging the lead. The two lines had twisted together and that unlucky carp had gotten its first dorsal spine wrapped between those twisted lines. The “carp loop,” as we now call it, released as soon as the fish hit the bottom of the boat. I didn’t want the poor thing to go back in the lake without losing any blood, so I gave it a complimentary gillectomy and returned it to the water.

Next we headed to the Island and dragged baits all over. We found small pockets of fish every half hour or so, but only managed to land 4 more cats and a couple of whites. We had more missed hits than I have had in a couple of years. Some clearly looked like whites, but at least a dozen just stopped the baits, held on for a second and let go. We were back at the ramp about noon having landed and released 6 cats and 4 whites. Our largest was 26.5, and all the others were 20 to 23 inches and they all came on fresh cut white bass.

We ran into ice_sled at the ramp and he had the same story, lots of whites harassing the baits and a bunch of hits that acted like cats and just let go. He had ended the morning with 5 cats, but nothing over 24”. It was good to visit with him again.

It was a decent morning, good for relaxing and enjoying the company, but quite smoky and a bit slow for cats. We spoke with a guy from the DNR as we were pulling the boat out and he said all week that has been the story, a bit slow. Maybe they don’t like the smoke either.
[signature]
Hey, sounds like you had a good battle with the carp even if the cats were playing hard to catch. Same story here; I fished all week and never caught more than a half dozen or so at best and had one day with a single fish.[Sad] I have decided to back off for week or two and see if we can get some cooler weather and less smoke.

Went out last night with Catrat to do some bank tangling. The Rat caught a very ugly tom cat near the launch. Poor thing looked like he had been on the losing end of several love fights. I have to wonder if some of these beat up old males survive their wounds to love again. The grungy water they live in does not seem to be conducive to healing wounds. Are these ugly beast to be found only in Utah Lake? I can't remember any of the northern boys with pics of battle-scared old males??

Anyhow, good you got out and also good to know that Ice-Sled in back in action. Still some very good fishin' time to come if the water will hold up.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ugly cats? A lot depends on the type of cover they are using for nests. In Utah Lake the rocky nooks and crannies are a very rough volcanic stuff that can gouge you up if you roll in it. The granite rocks at Willard are not nearly as rough, but some cats still get some scrapes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have fished for cats all over the country and have seen "battle wounds" in quite a few waters. But I think there is a higher percentage of really gross ones in the southern part of Utah Lake...around Bird Island and off Lincoln Beach.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The fish in the Bear River system spawn mostly in brush piles and holes under the banks. Not nearly as rough on their tender skin as rocks.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, my last trip to Lindon was a much lower producing trip (for catfish). Yeah, I spent a lot of time playing with the white bass, but I did not get nearly as much interest from the cats during the time I fished for them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]After the first few cool nights in September those big ol bigguns are going to get active again...during daylight hours. If there is any water left in the lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The largest fish we got was still sporting some love marks as well.

I also noticed that several of the smaller cats we got were really stuffed with something. I didn't perform any surgical inquiries, but they are clearly feeding well right now. I guess there must be a good crop of YOY everything out there right now.

When I've seen lots of feed in other waters, I have always done better at night, or when the feeding is easiest for the predator. It sounds like you guys tried the night thing, so maybe a bit of time and the little fish will get harder for them to catch or the water temp will drop a bit.

I can't imagine you going a couple of weeks without a cat fix though[Wink]
[signature]
"I also noticed that several of the smaller cats we got were really stuffed with something. I didn't perform any surgical inquiries, but they are clearly feeding well right now. I guess there must be a good crop of YOY everything out there right now."

[#0000FF]I have not conducted any CSI routines on Utah Lake cats recently. But from past experience I can tell you there is a wide variety of things they feed on all summer. Of course they will snarf carplets and whitie young...which are in great abundance. But they also eat crawdads when they can find them as well as other invertebrates.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That is why many of them have distended tummies. If you open them you will find lots of green bottom algae...from the cats wolfing it down for the snails, leeches and aquatic insect larvae they contain. These fish have powerful digestive juices that extract most of the nutrients...from both the animal and vegetable matter. The end result is a nasty, greasy green-black goo that they excrete onto your boat, tube or person when handled after being brought aboard.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, this is also common at Willard and other cat ponds.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I went out to the channel that day in the afternoon and stayed until 8:00. I caught one 21"er on a carplet. A young man (teenager) came wading up the channel towing his kayak; he said that he had been fishing for walleye. He cast to shore and suddenly had a fish on and claimed he caught it on a "trout spoon." As our conversation progressed he told me that he had caught a 37" channel cat a couple of weeks before in the harbor; he said it was in his freezer and weighed about 11 pounds; he had to have another fisherman take over when his arms got too tired to keep fighting the fish. I figure it would have to have weighed a lot more or was a lot shorter unless both figures were guesstimates. Who knows?

Just when I was getting ready to leave, a cat slammed my bait so hard that I could see a hole where my bobber had been sucked under. An instant later he was thrashing on the surface a few feet away and I lost him. I had gotten tired of trying every bait presentation I could think of and put the back 3/4 of a smallish white bass on, hooked just in front of the tail, which I had cut off. There was plenty of hook exposed, but... Dang, the one that got away seemed a lot bigger than the other one I had caught.

Anyway, two big-fish stories, and you can believe what you want.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I'll believe yours! So the "dimensional analysis" to me seems way off for a 37" cat. My PB was 32 inches. A skinny battle worn male and it weighed 12.5 pounds. I would lean toward the 11 pounds being accurate, over the 37 inches in your second hand story. But, you never know.

Sorry your big one got away, but it is still out there!
[signature]
I'm going to have to make up some double-hook rigs if I use bait nearly the size of my palm.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.