Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vanishing Berry Kokes
Went up today and got on the water at 6:30am. Tried the triangle for Kokes. Had only one on all day. First trip without limits. Caught some nice Cutts. Saw one other boat with about five nice ones. I think the Friday night storm really put them off the bite... Anyone else have a different outcome? Not many boats up there.

TiteLines
[signature]
About the same. We limited on Monday and Wednesday but Saturday could not get them. We caught cutts, but for the first time this year we were skunked on Kokanee. They were there on the electronics. I actually had 2 on the line, but they were light biters and came off on the way in. I talked to several others with similar results.

It did seem as if the rain Friday during the night may have turned them off. That seemed different to me as in the past on a hot day, a sudden rain storm seemed to turn them on. They sure weren't hitting well, at least form me Saturday.

I will be back on Monday, however and expect better results. Not giving up yet.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Really didn't see many nets go up all morning, so figured it was slowing. Good luck this week. It would be nice to get at least a few more before they are done...

TiteLines
[signature]
A cold front went through Friday night. I'm willing to bet the fishing was good Friday before the cold front hit. At least that's always been my experience. Hot fishing right before a front goes through.
[signature]
Koke's are a fish that can be hard to figure out,ive caught them well before storms,during storm,and after storms...this time of year is the hardest time of year to catch them!!! Unless you know where there at and what to use...for that hour..lol
[signature]
i was there Friday evening and Saturday , Friday i had a 3 that screamed line but lost them , Saturday i got 5 kokes and too many freaking cutts . i finally located the fish by 11:30 . but we had to leave so ended the day with 5
[signature]
Good for you! I think I saw you pull out just ahead of me. Someone in the boat had them on a stringer? I searched the usual spots, but couldn't find the schools. How deep did you find them?
[signature]
We tried for the Kokes on Saturday, but didn't catch any. We usually do fine for them. Caught plenty of slot cutts though.

We got a late start Saturday morning because just as we were leaving the marina to head out, a boat screamed in and beached on the east side of the ramp and a kid was yelling for a doctor because his grandpa was having a heart attack. Since I'm a medic I asked if they needed help and when they yelled yes I jumped off our boat and jumped onto theirs and started CPR on the guy. My brother who is also a medic jumped on a few minutes later when he came down the ramp and heard me yelling for him. We did everything we could and got help from a north Logan cop who was there and a Logan city medic also. We worked the poor guy for almost an hour, but he didn't make it. It was very Sad and tragic and sorta took the fun out of fishing for the morning, and we had a big load of kids on board that watched the whole thing, so I hope it didn't mess with their experience and heads.

It was very windy Saturday and fishing was only so so. Today the weather was great, but no kokanees showed up to play and we had to settle for jigging up a ton of slot cutts.

Mike
[signature]
We saw them speeding in and the MedFlight that came in. Sad deal. Much respect for giving it your all to try and save him.
[signature]
Thanks. It's kind of ironic that I was looking forward to going camping for the first time this summer so that I could get away from the Fire/Rescue stresses, but then still have it find me!
It was frustrating not having the equipment that I'm used to and being out of my jurisdiction and unable to push medications and do other procedures, but oh well. The Wasatch County Fire crew tried hard and so did Airmed, but it was just his time I guess.

We did our best to make the most of the rest of the trip and it felt like heaven up there!!

Mike
[signature]
Wow - sorry for your and the kids experience....too bad the outcome wasn't good......I hope we with boats have at least a semi-trained co-pilot that could get a boat in for us, apparently like this grandson did, should we have some sort of emergency.....could happen to any of us...
[signature]
We found em at 40'.
[signature]
We had stackers at 45' and 35'. No luck for us.
[signature]
We tried 30, 35, and 40 feet with no love except from a chub and a few Cutts. Caught a bunch of Cutts while jigging after giving up on the Kokes.

Mike
[signature]
Well, I had to redeem myself so I went back again today. It was still slow, but we did manage 4 decent kokanee. It was definitely slower than weeks past, but no koke skunk today.

Okay, now I have to brag, not for me but for a good friend and camp host in our loop. He got this fish on Strawberry last week. Great fish JR.

No matter the fishing, it is a great place to be. Sunrise on the lake is incredible.
[signature]
Did JR say how big that fish was? It looks like a good one!

Funny how there is fog in that bay just below the sun (smoke on the water!) - seems like it is there all summer long!
[signature]
JR said he weighed it at 5.5 lbs. and I think 25 or 26 inches long - sorry some of this is 3rd hand via his wife. I got the 5.5 lbs from him, but the length from Debbie. Nice fish.
[signature]
That is a nice fish!

I would paint that koke "spawning red" & hang it on the wall - beautiful!
[signature]
35 to 45 feet i had a friend that was casting and jigging and got them at 65 feet
[signature]
oh man that would be so hard ,thanks for doing what you did
[signature]