Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake catfish help
I've never fished Utah Lake this time of year and in these conditions. I got royally skunked the last time I tried and it looks like others are struggling to catch much, too. I'm hoping someone can give me some hints and ideas on how to catch channels now. I just started catfishing in May and think I have learned a bit as a newbie but still could use some help. Many thanks to those who have had a hand in my education; you guys are the best.

I usually fish the channel at Lincoln Beach. I've had success with cut white bass, shrimp and worm, carplets, and liver. I've tried cherry chicken, cut chub meat, and hot dogs at various times without success. I've fished under a bobber and at every depth from on the bottom to just under the surface. I've cast long and short and sometimes make a slow retrieve with jigging action and long pauses.

Anyone?

I'd like to put some more fish on the contest board before I get totally preoccupied with elk season.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hi Craig. I don’t claim to know the answer to your delima; but I would suspect that the water quality is probility the issue. Lack of wind in the channel maybe causing water to be somewhat oxygen deficient. Don’t know what effect the alge has in such shallow water. Could be some issues with Ph levels. Have you fished the outside of the channels with the same result? My choice for that area of the lake would be Mullberry Beach if I were bank tangling. Tight Lines.
[signature]
Craig-- I was out today in my criminal mode. Launched at Lincoln at about 6:30. There were no other fools on the water today. The launch channel is bad, really bad with blueish goo algae. I tried to launch without touching anything in the water. Water in the channel is bad all the way out and it is well under two feet deep... my depth was showing 1.6 or 7 all the way out. I'm with Ben on this one... probably not enough oxygen in the water to sustain a fish.

I broke out of the channel and headed east about one mile. Water still had lots of bright green algae with clumps of the deadly blue stuff. Actually did very well with the kitties... probably about 12 to 15 kitties but the best was only about 26 inches long and was caught on a TD CGF. Caught them dragging wb and carplets; had two on at a time twice.

With the water level so low and the terrible algae problem, it might be best to wait for some cold weather to clean out the algae and hopefully trigger a fall feed in the catfish. Bank tangling in the Goshen Bay area would probably be the best bet for the next couple of weeks. Night fishing should be good if you can fend off the skeeters.

The only baits I use are carp and wb, either chunks or bwb or carplets. I fish them on the bottom or under a bobber. If you are not catching fish as you have described the problem is with the fish more so than the fisherman. Hang in there.

Lynn aka BLK
[signature]
Thanks guys. I hear you on the oxygenation--makes a lot of sense. Mulberry sounds good, also outside of dikes. Where do you go for Goshen Bay, Goose Point?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I consider Mullberry to be in Goshen Bay. I have never fished past there.
[signature]
Goose Point is on the south end of G Bay and the water is pretty shallow... more so now with the low water. There are cats in there and guys fish there regularly earlier in the year. You would probably have a long walk through the mud to reach fishable water now. The carp seining crew was working that area this summer and I watch them chucking catfish out of their nets as the gathered the carp.

I'd try Mulberry and any of the spots along that area that you can reach where there is an opening in the brush. Some of the pump arms that extend out to deeper water can be good as well. That entire area from the end of the orchards to Mulberry is posted as private property, still, there are always people fishing the spots where you can pull a vehicle off of the road. The area is posted because of the slobs that view the area as a place to leave all of their trash when they fish. I have fished all of those spots, not out of disrespect for private property or because I am a natural born criminal, but if you fish and clean up I don't think you will be bothered. I have neve had anyone ask me to leave those areas... and I always have a garbage bag with me to clean up a bit of the trash before I leave. Fishing can be good along there but you do so at some risk of being run off or possibly getting a citation. Good spot, go give it a try and if you need help to make bail give Ice-Sled a call.
[signature]
I've noticed as well this summer the cats have been a little more picky! Try sting cheese, or hotdogs coated in cherry koolaid, I even dump a can of tuna in with them and a splash of vegetable oil I think they smell that oil slick and lead them right in!! Hope it helps! Fyi 8/0 or bigger circle hooks! No bullheads!
[signature]
Thanks Fritz for the new ideas. I tried the cherry/garlic hot dogs and I think I only got a bullhead. About those hooks: I've worked my way up from #1 and 1/0 to where I now mostly use 5/0, give or take a size. Guess I'll be upgrading again to 8/0. Where do you buy those and which specific ones do you use?
[signature]

I've always stayed away from that area because I couldn't tell what was private and what was not. I've not been much of a rebellious hellion must of my life so I try to respect landowner rights. I have gotten burned a couple of times over innocent mistakes that way, too. But, ice_sled did say once he would pull me out of the mud if I got stuck exploring out there so he might be willing to pull me out of the pokey, too. I might even get out there today while the sun don't shine and give it a try.
[signature]

[#0000FF]The size and type of hooks you use should be determined by what kind of bait you are using and how you are fishing it. I choose my hooks (never circle hooks) to be able to leave the hook points slightly exposed in the size bait I am using. And then hooking the bait to keep the point exposed.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I use mostly size 2, 1 and 1/0 hooks for the minnows and smaller pieces of carp meat. But I do have some 3/0 and 5/0 hooks for small whole white bass or big slabs of cut bait. I always use "natural" baits...like minnows, white bass or carp meat. I never use stink baits, dough baits or the "exotic" stuff like hot dogs or cheese baits. The latter will catch some fish...sometime. But by far the most and biggest cats caught from Utah Lake will be on the natural stuff...and the fresher the better.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I typically have a high percentage of hookups to solid strikes...don't miss many. And I NEVER lose fish to broken lines, bad knots, etc. Using good tackle, quality line of sufficient break strength and tieing good knots will almost eliminate losing fish of any size...that is if you know how to use your rod for shock absorption and how to set your drag.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]After that, you just gotta find the fish. You can't catch them where they ain't. And they hang out only where there is food, satisfactory water chemistry and the right temperatures. Those things can change quickly with weather shifts. To keep fishing the same place the same way through all different conditions is foolish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the, as always, masterful insights. I'm still casting about [sly] for tackle, techniques, etc. I'm going to play it eclectic for a while until I can internalize things that work for me.

You wrote:

"After that, you just gotta find the fish. You can't catch them where they ain't. And they hang out only where there is food, satisfactory water chemistry and the right temperatures. Those things can change quickly with weather shifts. To keep fishing the same place the same way through all different conditions is foolish."

Basic Fishing 101, but I keep having to be reminded so I don't get into a zombie-like groove and go around in circles. Thanks for the kick.

Can you share some insights into what the weather the next day or so will do to the fish and how to formulate strategies to catch them?

And thanks again for the book you sent me. I think it's gunna larn me sum good stuff [Smile]. Going to figure this lake out yet.

Craig
[signature]

I really love the team catfish offset circle hooks at cabelas
[signature]
Thanks. I live pretty close to Sportsman's Warehouse so I usually shop there, but their selection is not stellar; I'll have to get up to Cabela's soon. I even heard somewhere that you can buy stuff off the interweb, but I like to get the item in my hands and look it over[Tongue].
[signature]

Did you mean the Double Action or Octopus?
[signature]

"Can you share some insights into what the weather the next day or so will do to the fish and how to formulate strategies to catch them?"

[#0000FF]The only certainty is that there ain't no certainties. Fish seem to do what they want to do...and not what anglers want them to do. So every change in the weather, water conditions and food supply can make them change things up very quickly.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I seem to do best if I wait for at least a couple of days of stable weather before a trip. That gives the fish a chance to stabilize and resume "normal" patterns after a front goes through...especially if there is a lot of wind. Utah Lake is shallow and it doesn't take much wind to generate waves that stir up the muddy bottom.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most UL fish tend to head for deeper water when the wind blows...and may stay there for a few days until water clears a bit. After only a day or so the surface layers may become clearer and greener. But if you run a boat motor...or tuber fins...through that water you will see cloudy muddy water coming to the top. It is still murky at the bottom.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Cats and many other species can still locate food with lateral line vibrations and scent. But even cats prefer to be able to feed by sight...and you will always do better when visibility is better.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Still...the best time to go fishing is whenever you can get away. But if you know the areas of the lake that have been least affected by the most recent storms then those are the places to try. However, if you are not getting any action...MOVE. And keep moving until you find active fish.[/#0000FF]
[signature]