Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay - How's it doing?
Any rumors to how Willard Bay is doing. Really got an itch to take the boat out, haven't had a chance to get out over the past few weeks. Any news on how the wipers/walleye are doing at Willard Bay?
[signature]
[#0000FF]No first hand knowledge within the past two weeks but before that the wipers and walleyes were tough. Some isolated brief boils reported but nobody seems to be finding any numbers of active fish. The one exception is for catfish. They still come out to play.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I suspect that our current weather change and cooling trend will get the fish more active. But if the shad are as abundant as they appear to be on sonar the predators are likely well fed and not anxious to chase after that silly stuff anglers drag by them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I went out this morning. The birds were diving in any direction that you looked. The surface was flat with just enough breeze to keep the bugs away. Lots of smoke in the air and a helicopter spraying weeds on the north and west side of the north dike. Trolled blue/white rapala and blue/silver lipless crank bail from North marina to NW dike and back with no bites, no boils.
I did get to try out my new 12 volt line-hauler/crab-pot puller. I got it to pull in the 200ft of anchor rope used on the Snake River while sturgeon fishing. It pulls in rope at 150 ft/min. and lifts up to 110lb.. I was amazed at the ease of operation. It will be a real back saver on the river. It works like a capstan: slack line slips while a tight line pulls in. I mounted it on a scotty downrigger pedestal so I could swivel it.
[inline "line hauler.JPG"]

It might even be used to reel in my larger fish[Wink]
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
First a crutch, now a pedestal. What's next?[Wink]
[signature]
Hydrofoils sounds interesting, or maybe a microwave oven?
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Regarding:

[quote BURLEY]Hydrofoils sounds interesting ... [/quote]

I've flown the Air Chair (hydrofoil and chair on a wakeboard) which cuts through tall waves like a sword. A large boat was being tossed around in rough water while I was being pulled behind it with a smooth ride.

I'm attempting to post a picture of that. Maybe I'll have to edit in subsequent attempts. I checked "inline," but don't know if I need to do anything else for it to post.

Eversince having fun with that, I've been thinking of hydrofoils. The Air Chair's hydrofoil is capable of lift so great it can blast you high into the air or pull you down under the water. Controling it is tricky and takes practice.

I've been thinking of designs for hydrofoils on my future sailboat. With active high speed computer control, it can pull or push as needed to counter the force of the sail to neither push down into the water nor pull out of the water. Forces are very high yet with essentially a sword cutting through the waves, drag will be low and speed will be high.

EDIT: I need instruction on how to post inline.
[signature]