Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake fishing 8/24
Good news/bad news report.

Yesterday I fished at Mulberry. Bad news: total skunk unless you count the white bass I got halfway to shore. Plenty of nasty algae which coated my bait every time I reeled in.

This evening Pisco and I went exploring at the State Park. First we fished off of the dock to get some bait. Good news: he caught enough for us. Bad news: I couldn't catch any until the very end when I finally pulled in a couple of basslets. That's what we mostly caught. They might have been 3".

We went exploring by slowly motoring through the harbor and out the channel. Good news: the channel is about 6 feet deep. Bad news: we didn't pick up anything.

Then we trolled on out into the lake from the mouth of the harbor into five and a half feet of water. Before too long Good News: I caught a 26.5" cat, bumping my 26"er and putting me with all three 26.5ers on the contest board. Bad news: that was all we caught. We went on around to see what it might be like where the inflow from the river met the lake. Bad news: it got down to 1 fow before we got there. By then it was completely dark and we headed back. Good/bad news: I had a pretty hard hit going down the channel but no hookup. A little later Jim suggested I check to see if I had any bait left. Sure enough, all that was left was the basslet's head.

Bad news: we had a bit of a hard time getting the boat on the trailer just right and it took a lot more time than we had planned for. We planned to get out of the park by ten, which was when we thought they locked the gate, and we were a lot later than that. Good news: the out gate opens automatically.

It was a good adventure, but not a whopping success in the catching sense.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for coming along on short notice, It was good to get back on the water and I was glad my new rig for the YOY WB worked better than the old one.

We probably needed more time and less wind to find a group of hungry cats, but it was good to visit.
[signature]
I just measured those little white bass and they are more like 4-4.5", not the 3" that I posted.

Would you mind explaining your new rig? I'd like to set one up like that. It sure worked well.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

It has as floating lure called a Tiny torpedo (1/8 oz). The rear hook has been removed and replaced by leader that goes to the 2 small flies. The first is a size 12 about 18" bheind the lure and the second is a size 16 midge larvae imitation about 8" behond the first. I was tipping both flies with tiny pieces of crawler. I don't remember what the first fly was, but I don't think it matters much with the crawler on it.
[signature]
Glad you got out on the lake and was able to get out of the park. I was always worried about being locked in there and you answered that. ‘Sorry it wasn’t more productive. My fishing is done i had my back fusion on Friday an’d with its prognosis I won’t be out again this year. So you’ll have to go have extra fun for me.
[signature]
Sorry to hear you are down and out for the season, but if the procedure helps you feel better I guess it's good in the long run. Maybe you will be ready when ice-fishing time rolls around.

Thanks for the encouragement. Just keep thinking "27 inches for Craig" if you want me to have fun for both of us. It seems that the catfishing gods have put a cap on me at 26.5; I have all three slots on the leader board filled with that size. A 27"er would bring me up to 80 points which is a goal of mine. A 29 would also be nice since I have another goal to put a fish in the top ten [cool] in order to help out the team. Would you like me to bring you any fish I catch? I know you really like to eat them.
[signature]