Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 8-25-18
Hit Strawberry yesterday with Randy and Dave. We were disappointed to find few fish where we found them on our last trip, so the search began. We tried several locations on the north end of the reservoir with little to show for our efforts, when Randy asked, "I wonder if they have already moved to the south end". I responded that I was about to find out. I fired up the outboard and we migrated south. Tried a couple places there that have been good in previous years with zero success. Even tried wind trolling, which produced two cutthroats for Randy, which was better than we had been doing.

Randy suggested we try another area (still on the south end) and so we were off again in search of fish. Fortunately, this was our final move because although it wasn't red hot at least small schools of fish moved through every half hour or so. We ended up catching about 25 cutthroats for the day and all were in the slot.

I did have one highlight of the day when I landed three, at the same time, on only one jig. First time I have ever done that.

Although it was on the slow side, and we had to spend considerable time locating the fish, it was still great to get out with a couple of my fishing buddies.
[signature]
Okay, you got us. We gotta hear that "3-in-1" story.
[signature]
Not much to tell. I landed 3 crawdads on one jig.[Wink] first time I have accomplished that.
[signature]
Sometimes you can find them in the same place. That's one thing about Strawberry.....'Here today Gone tomorrow'. I usually give 30 minutes and then move. Another thing is what direction did the wind blow the day before you fish especially a strong wind.
[signature]
Kent, you found a new species...crowd-daddies!
[signature]
[quote lovetofish]

Sometimes you can find them in the same place. That's one thing about Strawberry.....'Here today Gone tomorrow'. I usually give 30 minutes and then move.

[/quote]

I have fished Strawberry for many years and, for the most part, when we have located the fish in July or August we have found them in the same location on future trips up into about the end of September.

[quote lovetofish]

Another thing is what direction did the wind blow the day before you fish especially a strong wind.

[/quote]

OK, I'll bite, what have you learned about how the wind blows the previous day at Strawberry affects the location of the fish on the following day?
[signature]
Typically, wind blows zooplankton and algae to one side, which the small fish follow, and then the predatory fish follow them. Windblown shores are often very good after a wind.
[signature]
Exactly Rocky.

I'm 73 years old and have been fishing Strawberry for 60 years. My parents had a cabin at the old Clarks camp for years. I grew up fishing with them long before the first poisoning. All the old timers who had cabins there used to have a saying 'Wind from the west the fish bite the best. Wind from the east the fish bite the least. That holds true today. I NEVER fish Strawberry if there has be a east wind or it is suppose to blow from the east. Your wasting your time if you do.

When my dad would go out in the morning he would look for what he called a feed line (all the old timers did the same). After a large wind storm the algae and moss would pile up together (usually large amounts) and off to one side it would be crystal clear, almost like night and day.. That's where he would fish and do very well. Reason being the perch (yes Strawberry used to have perch) would feed in the moss and the large cutts would go after the perch. Also with all the bug hatches that occured the moss patches would also contain tons of them. When I was a teenager he used to let me take the boat and I would go fish the very north end in the moss patches. There would be open areas surrounded by large patches of moss. I would use a bobber with a minnow about 4 ft below. I would alway catch huge Cutts but they would tie you up in the moss and you'd lose a lot of them.

Strawberry has changed alot since they poisoned it the second time and enlarged it. But it some ways it still fishes the same.

It was always fun to watch the boats up there. When one boat would catch a few every boat on the lake would start to move in. It looked like it was raining with them all throwing out corn to chum with. I have some good memories from back then.
[signature]
I also fished Strawberry when there were perch . And the knolls was called the Corn Belt . I fished the East side of the Lake a week ago and the wind was blowing from the west . Had the best day ever catching Cutthroats . Went a few days later and the wind was coming out of the East and only caught a few . Thanks for sharing your knowledge and a very good tip. Wind from the East catch the least !! LOL What is your opinion on fishing Strawberry during a full moon ? Personally , I have my worst days fishing . I am going up tomorrow and it is a very full moon right now . Will let you know how I do . Thanks again for the Tip .
[signature]
The first time I went to Strawberry I was with a friend that was pretty sure we could get some fish. When we approached the res. I was kind of surprised not seeing any boats. From what I had been told, there were always people fishing it. Shortly we came around a hill and below us and a short distance away sat what I believe, was every boat on the lake, close enough to each other they could shake hands. They must have gotten along better with one another back then. It kind of verifies what you are saying. Know what to look for and you are into them.

rj
[signature]
Yep, I remember catching lots of perch in Strawberry and remember well Clarks camp. I remember that we would go out in a boat and look for open areas in the thick seaweed and there we would fish. I am pleasantly surprised that the current Strawberry doesn't seem to get the thick seaweed, except around the edges and in the shallow bays.

Fortunately, it has been my experience that the wind rarely blows from the east. Saturday it was pretty much from the west and the southwest. I have no idea which way it was blowing on Friday.
[signature]
Monday Fishing report . WINDY --- Windy --- Windy ! But we did catch 15 fish . A few Small Rainbow and one Clot Buster Cutthroat . We fished Soldier Creek side and the Narrows . Wind did not let up !!!
[signature]
Forecast was for wind all day long.

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/stra...oir_marina

Supposed to be somewhat better tomorrow. Was the wind blowing from the west?
[signature]
I too remember the Perch at Strawberry. I also remember that when you rented a boat it came with a bucket to put the "trash fish Perch " in. Sure wish that today we have those Perch vs Chubs.
[signature]
The wind was blowing from west .. Also the east,north and south . It completely changed directions 5 times in the Narrows ..Maybe The Moon brings the WIND !! LOL Good to be on the water !!
[signature]
I remember those old wooden boats. They all leaked but you couldn't sink one with a torpedo they were so sturdy. Most people would just row/motor out from the camps and still fish.
[signature]
You could not troll because there was to many boats anchored everywhere . From Clarks to the Knolls was probably 30 ft deep at the deepest . Caddyshacks everywhere . You would pull in to use an Outhouse and they all had paddle locks on them . And Those were the good old days. LOL
[signature]