Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier Creek crayfish collapse
Went up there yesterday to let the kids catch some mudbugs and do a boil on the shore. Good thing we had plenty of andouille sausage and shrimp cause the bugs were few and far between. Tried 2 different spots where we normally fill a 5 gallon bucket and there were very few bugs. Usually I see them just crawling on the rocks and catch a bunch just picking them up or with the net.
We do this every year and have never seen it like this. Did see a big pile of shells so I'm guessing the Soldier Creek marina area has been picked over pretty good.
[signature]
We were up there last weekend and caught all we cared to catch. We kept away from the marina and dropped 4 traps in about 10-15 feet of water. We let them soak for about an hour each time and always pulled up a full trap. We dropped our traps east of the marina on a rocky point between the marina and east shoreline/road.

The marina at strawberry side is picked over as well. Still plenty of crawdads, but the marinas get clobbered and they are a little slower than other areas. I think it's impossible to overfish crayfish. It is becoming more popular however, so you may need to find more remote spots.

Mike
[signature]
How were the size of the ones you caught?

I've only made it up there once this year. The ones we were getting were all small, the big ones were few and far between
[signature]