Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 8/19-8/26
Spent last week fishing Flaming Gorge from Lucerne Marina. Spent the first couple of days on the Utah side fishing Sheep Creek, Hideout, and Linwood Bay for some Kokes and Mackinaw. Unfortunately could only manage a few smallish kokes nothing to really brag about. But, the Wyoming side was much nicer with bigger fish.

Found a spot near Anvil Draw the kept producing 18-20 inch lakers. It was even better that we really never encountered another boat while we circled the "hot spot." Went as far up as Buckboard Thursday and Friday hooked into a 22 in 3.5 lb koke that had me stoked as well as a few lakers and a nice cutthroat.

On the last day there we were lucky enough to get another nice koke that was a nice pink color and kiped jaw that we caught directly across from the rope swing by Kingfisher Island.

Fishing was never fast and furious, and definitely got busy on the weekend, but we caught fast enough to keep our interest peaked. We used RMT viper serpent spoons on the down rods of the downriggers between 70 and 75 ft. Kokanee Creek UV pink squid did pretty good at times as did a multi colored Macks cripplelure. We fished those on the top rods anywhere from 40 - 60 ft depending on where we were marking schools of fish. Trolled anywhere between 1.3 - 2.0 mph.

My most favorite times was returning to camp and telling fish stories to another BFT member Island 20. Was a great pleasure to meet him and his wife. For sure that was the highlight of the entire trip to share the week with such wonderful people.
[signature]
Nothing in linewood huh?[fishon]
[signature]
thanks for the report. We fished FG last Thursday and did really well on Lakers and Kokes out of Lucerne. We didn't catch any kokes as big as your big one. thats a dandy.
[signature]
Glad to see you did well, our trips this year were about the same, enough to keep you interested but not fast and furious. And thank you for keeping even the smaller pups, more of us need to do so in order to maintain the fishery.
[signature]
We tried jigging at about 95 ft but didn't have any luck at all. I had Freshwater basics Glow and rainbow pattern tube jigs, a pink radical glow tube jig, and 3/4 oz white sonic bait fish one bouncing the bottom and about every 5 ft up and got squat. I have a hard time sitting still and not moving. It was fun watching the other boats chase each other around trolling though. Pretty sure I saw Ryan Browning of KSL fame racing around the loop too.
[signature]
Dear Naughty Hooker,

My wife and I were so pleased to meet a couple who share our love of fishing and the outdoors. We looked forward to the fish report at the end of everyday.

Thank you for your very kind and heartfelt words about our new aquaintance. we hope we will have many adventures with you and your wife. I also want to thank you for your generosity in helping me with the equipment Ii was missing.

Going again soon will pm you with details.

Island 20
[signature]
Randy is a great guy! I talk to him everytime I go up there. I would recommend anyone go out with him if you need to either learn or don't have a setup yourself! [fishon]
[signature]
I'm sorry......Randy Browning. We tried to book a date with him for that very reason but to no avail. Was hoping for a cancellation so he could fit us in. He appears to have great knowledge of Flaming Gorge fishing. Saw his truck and trailer there everyday. We ate at the family restaurant in Manila 2 nights so I didn't have to cook on the Camp Chef in the rain. [Smile]
[signature]