Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas help
Making a trip to the Uintas on Labor day .Any suggestions on lures , flies , tactics etc. Will be fishing from shore. Thanks for any advice .
[signature]
I always have a supply of renegades in size 12-16. They always work at least marginally... Hoppers are plentiful now, so you may take some hopper flies and do well... As far as presentation, if you're in tight quarters and don't have a back cast, take a bubble and cast it on your spinning rod... Forgive if this is old news to you, but I like to fill the bubble 3/4 full of water and fix it in place with small sinkers about 3' above where I tie my fly on... then cast out as far as you can and slowly reel in (make very little ripple as you retrieve) Be ready and hook the fish as they hit... Should work, make sure you take plenty of flies, the fish tend to tear them apart, they hit so violently.... Have fun!!! J
[signature]
After flies, your next best bet will be a worm 2 ft below a bobber. Powerbait does not work too well up there. If using a spinner, jakes lure works great and so does any rooster tail. You can tip your rooster tail with a worm for better results. If the lake is shallow or the fish are on the top, I like to use a clear bubble 2-3ft above my spinner, then I can reel as slow as I want.
[signature]
Jake's, Little Cleos, and Kastmasters in red and gold will all catch trout up there.
[signature]
This is a huge generalization, but I think cutts seem to take flies while brooks seem to take lures - not to say there is no cross over, but in my opinion that is their preference.

Flies - renegade, grey hackle peacock, black gnat, elk hair caddis, in size 14-16, wooly buggers and leach patterns also work.

lures - cyclops, jakes, panther martin, and the old red and white daredevil.
[signature]
The Uintas encompasses a huge area and there are about a thousand lakes up there, along with many streams. The best advice depends on where you are fishing. TBH, how to do best at a roadside lake planted every 2 weeks is markedly different from how to succeed in a backcountry lake or a river. More details could help others give you better advice.
[signature]
Large flies in general work well in the Uintas. Grasshoppers and cicadas are my top choices. Kastmasters or jakes lure in gold also work.
[signature]
I was fishing not catching one day at Washington Lake. A boy (maybe 10 years old) comes up to me and says you're using the wrong stuff. I ask what the right stuff is. He says throw out a clear plastic bubble with a single hook about three feet back and about a quarter piece of nightcrawler. I did. The fish couldn't leave it alone. I was getting a swipe or four at it every cast. Except when one zeroed in on it and grabbed the hook. I have been fishing that way up there ever since. It never has failed me. Good Luck.
[signature]
Thanks for all the great replies You have all given me some great info.
[signature]
That might be old news, but it is always good advise! Especially if you want kids to have fun catching fish with a fly!
[signature]
I was taught that method as a scout and it always seems to work until you break your bubble. I know most on the forum probably know this but we sometimes have newer members that might benefit from the suggestion. I hope so anyway. Later J
[signature]