Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Travel with Vexilar
I am planning on a few long distance ice trips this winter. I've done them before but have never taken my Vexilar / Humminbird with me.
Has anyone ever taken one in a checked back on a flight? Any issues with the battery size or type? Or how many of them you can take with you?
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this and what they learned. Is it worth the hassle?
Only taking 1 battery per unit - the ice houses we stay in have power to charging isnt a problem.
Thanks
Rob

* 4 of us are going - taking 4 units. Have rented them in the past when it was just me, but the price of renting 4 for 5 days is a lot more than the one Pelican case to take 4 with us.
[signature]
I don't have any first hand info but I would think you could call the airlines and find out about the batteries, as long as the units have good packaging around them, I would think you would be ok but you might have to pay more for the extra bagage.
[signature]
New rules are that all batteries must now be carried on. Had a bag opened and inspected recently because of a packed camera and spare batts. They've had li-ion rechargeables catch fire while in baggage, apparently.
[signature]
Just got an answer from the Dangerous Goods Manager at Delta.
Because the batteries are 9 Amp, 12 Volt they exceed the allowable watt hours permitted in passenger carry-on or checked baggage. The battery voltage must not exceed 12 volts and the battery watt hour rating must not exceed 100 watt hours.
By multiplying the Volts and Amps it comes to 108 watt hours.

However - If I use the 7 Amp 12 Volt batteries that would work. And I would be allowed to take one battery in the unit plus one back-up in checked bags.

But since there are 4 of us with 4 units we would each have to pack an extra bag just for the units. Renting the units vs. taking our own looks like it will be about even when you consider extra bag fees. Looks like we will rent instead of dealing with the hassle. Just easier.

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Thanks
Rob
[signature]
Rob, wrap the spares in bubblewrap and put them in a Priority Mail Large box. Mail it to yourself to be held at your motel. Then again for the trip home. Mail them up early enough that you can call and confirm their arrival, and instructions to hold them.

Even if they get lost, you still have the 7-amp ones you carry on. But you really shouldn't need the spares anyway, if the shacks have AC.
[signature]
I feel a bit dumb for not thinking of that! I have a FedEx account w really good rates.
Thanks for the idea - I'm going to do exactly that!
Rob
[signature]
It is so easy to overlook the bleeding obvious, isn't it? The reason foreheads are flat is because we keep slapping 'em!
[signature]
You may have to use UPS ground. I don't think that US Mail will ship batteries. Fed Ex is also unkinown to me.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Right now, the only batteries restricted by USPS are lithium batteries. All other types used in sonars should be mailable.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Good info.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
So I want to hear more about this trip? Sounds like a lot of fun... Care to spill any details about what you're doing??? Thanks J
[signature]
Your FedEx link doesn't work.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]Your FedEx link doesn't work.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Try it now Kent. [/#800000][/font][Smile]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sure - Every year for the past 8-9 years I fly out to Minnesota and fish on Upper Red Lake.
There are a lot of options but the one that has seemed to work best for me is flying into Bemidji - fish a lake there for the first day, then cruse up to Upper Red and stay in a fish-house for a few days. Upper-Red is about 30min South of the Canadian border.
I pick up groceries in Bemidji and then just sleep in the house (has beds) out on the ice....fish 24 hours a day.
Depending on the kind of experience you are looking for there are a lot of options. If you want to hit Lake of the Woods - I have found that most fish house rentals are day use...so you end up paying for the rental of the house during the day and then a lodge room at night off the lake.
I choose Upper Red so Im only paying for one "room" 24/7 and I can fish all the time.
The rental service I use is pretty good...if you arent catching fish they always scouting the lake and they will drag your house (usually a 10X20) to a new location so you arent stuck on a dead spot.
I've usually done the trip alone but took my son last year. He loved it so we are going back again this year.
[signature]
That sounds like a blast. Thanks for passing on the details. Some day I may ask you for more info. Thank you. J
[signature]