Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield chubs
Is it a good of year time to go catch a mess of chub below the dam at Scofield? Thinking I would like to load up on bait. Never been there before.
[signature]
You should be able to catch plenty.
[signature]
Perhaps that's a good opportunity to practice with my casting nets for the first time. I have them as part of my preparedness.

I would like to go there to cast nets for chub for bait with someone experienced at casting nets to learn the casting skills from someone good at it. I learn quick, but my preference is to learn right rather than teach myself with techniques that might not be the best ways. I've got a good vehicle, but my only boat is a fly fishing pontoon boat.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I might join you, Ron. Shoot me a PM.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]What kind of net do you have...mesh size, diameter, etc.?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I prefer smaller chubs but I can also use larger ones and cut them into strips.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have no problem throwing a net had lots of experience but my net got rotton and had to many holes in it. 30 year old net go figure.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Been there a couple of times. The key is how much water they are letting out. At low flow there are a series of pools. Easy peasy. But if they are releasing a lot of water there are gobs of greenery going downstream and it is hard to fish in any way.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]About the "old" net. Wish I was 30 years old again. Even with a few holes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Some holes you can repair with monofilament or braided line. Others you are better off just getting a new net. I have patched a few holes but if you leave some ragged edges or poor knots the net won't throw well and you will get a lot of flops. I know.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

" Wish I was 30 years old again. Even with a few holes."

Don't we all wish that !!
Anybody have any idea as to the flow conditions mentioned above by Tubedude
[signature]
I was just there on Monday plenty of chubs in the river. If you want the smaller one's you have to use a net. There's a steady flow in the river and the chubs are gathered up in huge groups the smaller ones rend to be bybthe shoreline .
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a new cast net with 1/4in mesh. Hope to get up there next week. On another note, I was in need of some fresh bait so I went down to Ogden bay and caught some 10-12 in carp.
[signature]