Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell over the weekend
Still kills me to type "Lake" Powell, knowing it is not a lake.....
Anyways, fished GHB the last three days and came home today.
Best action was bb'ing with harnesses and crawlers. You can catch as many cats, green sunfish, NICE bluegills, and smallies as you want. In fact, you can't hardly go more than 10 yards without a fishy inquiry.
Only caught one walleye and lost a big fish that hit so hard I nearly lost my pole out of my hand. Never saw the fish due to a breakoff. Those mussels are hard on line.
Big fish was assumed to be a striper...
Never did figure out the stripers, didn't even see a good boil. Just a few fish surfacing here or there.
Maybe sinking anchovies is the key?
[signature]
We were there also we camped at Halls Crossing.

I really like striper fishing during boils and like you we saw very few and didn't catch any stripers on the lake chasing boils.

I did catch a few nice fish though with a tube jig right off the the dock at the ferry ramp. 1 largemouth bass that went around 4.5 pounds 1-small mouth that was around 3.5 lbs. and a skinny striper. Lots of average size smallmouth most the weeked.

I just don't understand why they aren't boiling, there are shad everywhere you go. Backs of bays are so full of shad you can't tell where the bottom is in 24 feet of water. We to went North looking all the way to GHB Saturday and Sunday. Went all the way down to Slick Rock at daybreak yesterday and didn't see anything.

We may head back down in October between all the hunts.

Thanks for the reply, glad I'm not the only one not seeing boils. Weird year.

fnf[cool]
[signature]