Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GuideTipping
No Im not talking about sneaking up on Jim Williams up at the Gorge and tipping him over. I have a tripped planned to Missouri to go to Table Rock lake and go Bass fishing. I have hired a guide for $400. My question is Should I still tip at that price ? Is he expecting a tip? And if so what percent 10,15,20% ?There is just 2 of us going out me and my wife.
Any thoughts?
[signature]
I'm a very generous tipper, but I tend to tip a bit less if there's little to no chance I'll be making a return trip with the same guide.

I used to make an annual trip to the Missouri River at Craig, MT with not just a guide, but the Orvis Guide of the Year. After three floats, I tipped him one full day fee. It pretty much insured that I'd be able to book the days I wanted next time.

On the Provo once, I had a guide who wasn't all that expert - and the shore lunch was skimpy. I tipped him with an off-the-rack Reddington fly rod kit to use as a loaner. No cash.

For a one-time visit, you might plan on 15%, and then adjust to 10% or 20% depending on how the day went.
[signature]
that is up to you if he shows you a good time it may be nice to tip him
some Guide's work for some one else are pay fees to some one so they may not make as much as you think they do. plus it cost for his boat and keeping it running.

I could not be a Guide if I had a bad day it would be hard on me
[signature]
[quote KOKANEE]No Im not talking about sneaking up on Jim Williams up at the Gorge and tipping him over.[/quote]

You wouldn't be the first to try!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I have guided for many years and although very appreciated it is not a requirement no matter what the rate is! There has been days when the bucks and bulls are everywhere but where you're at and just the same there's days the geese just want in your lap and the fish just want to be hooked so on the banner days some guys think its all me and want to give me extra....sweet! And the crap days guys still think its all me! Either way if you have a great day or a crap day remember that guy still took you out! Use your best judgement!?
[signature]
So a tip is like a good fish...you may not count on it, but you hope for it every time!
[signature]
Good advice. Thanks y'all.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Tipping is SUPPOSED to be for service above and beyond what you are paying for in the first place; in this case, a guided fishing trip. Your paying for the guides services which should be specified before hand. They may include his expertise, use of his equipment, and sustenance.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]If he provides these services/equipment at just the required level, why would he warrant a tip? He's just doing what he is being paid to do. I don't believe he would deserve a tip and I certainly wouldn't consider rebooking him if that is all he provided. However, comma, if he makes your trip an adventure to remember and YOU feel he went above and beyond to make it that way, then by all means tip him what it was worth to YOU for the experience and memories.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I, personally, tend not to tip anybody if all they are doing is the job they are paid to do. But that's just me. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I used to guide on the millionaire duck club and those guys were paying a ton for membership and all and yet the guides would bring all their own gear, minus the boats and do all the work of taking care of them, setting them up, fetching the ducks they'd knock down, calling them in and etc. etc. and your daily rate was $100, then you might get $10 for a tip... It was really kind of disappointing after you'd busted your but all day, gotten up at 3:00 AM and put up with their poor shooting all day... One day we had so many good opportunities he had shot all of his 3 boxes of shells and still didn't have his limit (Only 5 ducks at the time), so we had to go back to the clubhouse for more shells ( I was shooting a 20 ga. him a 12 ga. so I couldn't give him mine.) so he could fill up.... Lot of work and not much reward, guess that's why I gave that up so I could enjoy the duck hunt myself... ( I was a newer guide so all the experienced guides knew who to get as clients so they would get the big tips...)

Tipping is nice, because like mentioned the guide may not be tied directly to the fee charged, however, if they do a crappy job, you may not want to encourage them to stay in the business... And I'd judge their job, buy what they can control, not the day... Make their day if you can and the next time they will make your's... Later J
[signature]
[quote dubob][]I, personally, tend not to tip anybody if all they are doing is the job they are paid to do. But that's just me. [Smile][/#800000][/font][/quote]

Personally, I don't tend to hire guides for fishing...so, my opinion is probably moot. But, I would suggest that tipping a guide is similar to tipping a waitress--often the tip is considered part of that person's salary or wages. Waiters and waitresses are often paid less than minimum wage and are working for peanuts without the tips. I try to respect that by always tipping them regardless of the service (although poor service may mean a smaller tip). I would imagine that often times the money spent for guide service goes directly to an the outfitter and the guide is paid a wage outside of that. I would also imagine that sometimes these guides are paid by the outfitter with the understanding or expectation that tips will be a part of what the guide earns. I would personally hate to pay for guide services and leave a guide without tipping and learn later that the guide earned a paltry wage and tips were expected. But, I don't know...I don't guide and don't pay for guide services. I certainly could be wrong.
[signature]
Whenever I've hired a guide I budget 20% for a tip. If he works his butt off, is polite, and doesn't act crude or profane then it's all his. The tip goes down with objectionable behavior......depending on how hard he tries for me.

Only one time did I not tip a guide and it was in Alaska on an expensive halibut trip. The guide sat on his satellite phone screwing around and arguing with his wife and then spent the rest of his time messing around with his satellite radio on the boat. I didn't catch anything, he never even tried to figure out how to get me on the fish and he never moved the boat from the spot we were fishing. He was also very insolent and unsociable. I wouldn't tip him when we got back to the dock due to his crappy service, but one of the guys in my group tipped him for me despite my protests because he was embarrassed to look cheap!

Generally, most guides work hard and deserve a tip in my opinion and I'm happy to tip them if they tried their best......regardless of whether or not I caught or killed anything, but occasionally you'll bump into one that sucks and doesn't deserve a thing.

Mike
[signature]
We went out in San Diego Diego and the guiding was good overall, but oh man was it annoying hearing them complain all day about how people never gave them good tips. Besides that they worked hard to put us on fish. My father gave them 20%. Personally I think 15% is the minimum unless someone is blatantly just horrible all day. I think the max I would give is 20%. Everything is just personal opinion on this subject, so just do what you think is fair.
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]Whenever I've hired a guide I budget 20% for a tip. If he works his butt off, is polite, and doesn't act crude or profane then it's all his. The tip goes down with objectionable behavior......depending on how hard he tries for me.[/quote]

Now I LIKE that concept!
[signature]
When I guided on my bigger boat with all of it's down riggers, outriggers and 6 lines down and two back I expected my mate to be well tipped. That's a lot of work to keep 4 people with 2 lines each trolling. He earned 20% of the days fee from me.

When I was a guide for myself I sure liked them.
Sometimes they seemed excessive for what I had done, others they seemed paltry.
I remember one couple, he knew how to fish, pretty good at whacking smallmouths on jig/rubber. She didn't fish, I don't think he knew how to make the bridge from his level of fishing (precise casting w/casting rod, feel takes...) to the level she needed to learn from. So, I bought a baitwell full of livies and rigged up a slip bobber rig on a med weight spinning rod.
We parked on a rockpile...It wasn't long she was wacking smallies too, and perch, and a big ole pike. I like to think they fished together a lot after that even though I got no tip.
I have had many drinks, dinners, trip trades and other gratuities as well, all enjoyed, all thankful for. Just last year, after a full week of 6 guys that didn't need much guiding for 5 days the 2 guides split up tons of food and opened bottles.

I certainly like the idea of budgeting 20% and then deciding after the trip.
[signature]
Great article and extremely revealing. So Sad to read how those in the restaurant industry are being abused by the current law.
[signature]