Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Labor Day
My brother and I fished Jordanelle yesterday. Our original plan was to float some hoppers hoping to entice the smallmouth. It was a sort of last-minute deal and all the hoppers were asleep when I went to my spot to get some at sunrise. I picked up a few recommended lures at Walmart, though, and we were on our way. We fished at the very north end near where the creek comes in. This was the first time I had ever been to Jordanelle.

First I threw out a bit of worm on a small hook to see what might happen while I rigged my other rod to cast for bass. Before I could really get started I had a bite and landed a perchlet. Then it kept on happening, one after another. Well, I thought, may as well go with the flow [Wink] and fish for the species du jour. My plan was to get some bait for catfish and ice fishing; I took home my limit. Most of the ones that I caught were in the 5-6" range though one was just 3" (a new smallest-fish record for me) and one was 8.5". I took home a limit and froze them in trip-sized packages. We also caught a few little smallmouth and my brother was surprised to land a wiper. Those were my very first smallmouth ever. With them and the perch I have now caught 13 species this year. Looking forward to still finding some crappie, bluegill, walleye, wipers, etc.

Now, has anyone used perchlets in Utah Lake for catfish? What can you tell me about that?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sounds like you had a good trip. It's always nice to catch new species and break a personal record....even if it is for smallest fish!!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are not many perch in Utah Lake, but all the predators like them and will eat them when available. I have caught quite a few cats and walleyes on perch.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The smaller perch you can fish just like any whole minnow. But it is a good idea to make some cross cut scores down the body to help release more scent. And if you did not scale the perch before freezing them you are going to find that their scales are like stainless steel to penetrate once they are hardened. I prefer to scale them before freezing. That also allows me to cut strips or whole fillets more easily after thawing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Actually, I never freeze whole perch. I first scale them then fillet them and freeze 2 to 4 fillets in a small plastic bag...with just a bit of water. Squeeze out the excess water and air and then seal tightly. Don't rinse the fillets after filleting and before freezing. Leave as much natural goodness as possible.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For tipping jigs, I cut small pieces, as illustrated in the attached writeup. But for larger fish, use larger pieces...either on a bait hook or on a bigger jig hook...or flig. Last trip to Willard I did well on 1 to 2 inch strips and a piece of crawler for "surf and turf". The fish loved it. Oh yeah, I also splash on a little crawdad oil and sea salt after I cut it into pieces. And in Willard I substitute shad oil.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey TD----tks for the very understandable instructions for preparing and preserving some perch for cut bait....think I'll give that a try for this season's ice fishing....
[signature]
Thanks Pat, that was a great tutorial. At least I got some of it right and next time I'll get it down. You know me, I'm still catchinon.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]As you probably picked up from the writing, that is how I prep for ice fishing. I always used PPP (Prepared Perch Pieces) when ice fishing on lakes where it was legal. And there were more than a few trips when that stuff outfished anything else. Great for perch but trout and other species munch it too. And as stated to C-man the cats and walleyes go for it as well. Perch are a common prey item.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It sounds like you had a fun trip and got some good bait along with it. Boy, 13 species in one year. I don't think I've caught that many in a year since my last ocean trip.

I' am rumored to be somewhat narrow minded during the cat contest though.

Keep up the good work!
[signature]
You know I am actually surprised about the number, too, since I have dedicated a lot of effort to catfishing myself.

I was afraid that I was guilty of telling a "fish story" so I checked the guidebook and ticked off these: brown, brook, rainbow, tiger, cutthroat, golden, grayling, smallmouth, white bass, bullhead, channel cat, perch, and chub. And there are at least as many more that a person could catch; something to look forward to.
[signature]

I'm surprised, with all the time you have spent on the golden pond, that carp aren't on the list[Wink]
[signature]
Me too. I keep expecting it, and I'd love to get some for bait, but it just hasn't happened.
[signature]

Hey catchinon try popping the perch eye out and use it ice fishing. I’ve done very well with perch eyes.
[signature]
Thanks for the good suggestion. When I was just a kid we did that with trout when we ran out of worms. Don't know if it was legal in that place and time, but you do what granddad says. And it sure worked. I tried one at Jordanelle once we were sure it was legal there.
[signature]