Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Harbor channel
Yesterday evening I fished the Provo Harbor channel. I went to a spot where I had had a fish snarf half a white basslet the other night and that Pisco suggested I try. I put on a perchlet and a basslet, fished one on the bottom and the other deep under a bobber. Around 7:00 I got a bite that took my bobber under. I made the mistake of trying to set the circle hook and reeled in half of what I thought was a perch, so I put another one on. Later I realized that I actually had two perch on and no white bass. I rectified that and about sundown I landed a fish on the bass that I thought might be a chart bumper for me. Alas, he only went 26" and I need a 27. He put up a heck of a fight though, going on several strong runs. I have adjusted my drag lighter, so that made it more interesting than just horsing him in. It's good to catch that first fish in a new spot so you know you're not just wasting your time fishing in a bad spot.

The jury is still out as to whether the perch will make good bait or not. It's hard to go away from fishing with white bass. If it ain't broke...

The channel appeared to be ~6' deep where I was fishing.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good for you! I may never get used to circle hooks. When we fished together a few weeks back I totally forgot you fished with them and I panicked when you didn't set the hook[:p]

My friend Dave just started fishing with them and he likes them, but he still sets the hook almost every time. It doesn't seem to cost him any fish, so far at least.

If the cat has that bait in his lips and the hook isn't inside, it won't matter what kind of hook it is though. Your only hope is that, if you don't set the hook, he will feel the pull on his meal and inhale it before it gets away.

Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Good on ya going out and figuring things out. Your coming along great. How does the water look over in Provo harbor? Is there any goo? Wish I could join you but I’m not close yet to getting out.
[signature]
"Wish I could join you but I’m not close yet to getting out."

LOL, it sounds like you are in prison, not just recovering from surgery[Tongue]. But I guess it feels like that anyway. Good luck on a quick recovery. We need you to get out here and catch a 30 for the team.

The water is not bad at all and there is no goo.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.