Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avery and Ryan's first bow kill
Avery and his buddy Ryan managed to knock an antelope over last weekend with their bows. All spot and stalk. I sat on the cabin porch 800 yards away and watched it all go down. It took them a day and half to finally get one but they had a bunch of close calls. At one point them boys were pinned down with 7 bucks running around them at 10 yards. It was great to watch. In the end they got this one between them at 40 yards and both shot at the same time. Two arrows in the vitals, one from the right and one from the left. They both emptied their quivers on it within seconds lol. When we asked who was going to tag it Avery volunteered Ryan too. He wanted another weekend of hunting them I think and is actually heading that way right now. They split the meat and we've been eating it every day this week. I love antelope meat! Next week I'll be chasing them with the muzzleloader.
[signature]
Sweet!
[signature]
Avery got it done this weekend on a nice doe. These boys have started off the 2018 hunting season right.
[signature]
Congratulations on your kill . It has Been great watching him grow up on this forum . He has turned into a great young man .
[signature]
Thanks Curt. I've been sharing his adventures since he was about 4 1/2. He was already a seasoned angler at that point [Smile]. I don't even remember when he caught his first fish. He turns 14 in a month. The next several years will be challenging but hopefully we gave him a good foundation to become the man I know he can become. Thanks for everyone on BFT for putting up with all my posts of his adventures over the years.

Rod
[signature]
Awesome Rod! Tell Avery congrats
Matt
[signature]
Congrats to the youngsters.
[signature]
I'm ashamed to admit I just saw this. I need to get more active here. Way to go, nice buck. The first Antelope buck I shot with my bow took 5 shots. Two arrows I used twice. I couldn't believe it was still standing. And it was a tiny buck. After that hunt I bought an Antelope decoy. Have you ever tried them? They are a riot. I have a call that sounds like a Antelope warning call.
So spot a herd with a nice buck. Then sneak to about 100 yards or a little less and pop up your decoy and give a couple calls to get their attention. The decoy is a small buck and half the time or more, the herd buck will charge the decoy. I've only done this in September when they were in rut. Right along with the elk.
I don't have any sons. I can only imagine your thrill in watching them do this. I look forward to your next reports. And how did the muzzle loader hunt go?
[signature]
I also need to try and be more active on here.
Yes I use decoys. I've had some crazy reactions and at times just get to laughing. They are an interesting creature for sure.
I need to find one of those calls you speak of. Which one do you have?
It's amazing watching the kid. He managed the antelope, 2 deer and an elk this past season. He filled the freezer by himself. I was busy helping my brother with his elk tag so I only had one morning to hunt antelope with my muzzleloader. I managed to take a really small buck. Seen some nice ones but the little guy got in my way so I just took him. I love antelope meat so I was happy with the decision.
[signature]