Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tuna overnight
Hi California Anglers
I am from Utah and 3 of us are coming out for our first overnight tuna trip. I am looking at which boat to book right now and I am having a hard time deciding between the Tribute with Seaforth or the Old Glory out of H and M Landing.
We are going to try for one leaving on a Wednesday or the Thursday night. Also not sure which night is better and maybe less anglers and not as crowded.

From the Youtube videos it looks like a lot of flylining with live bait for yellowfin and skipjack. Which size hook would you recommend. 4/0 or 5/0 live bait hook with the ring? I have the large Salt Striker reel that I use for sturgeon and it currently has 80lb braid. I was planning on using a 4 ft flourocarbon leader at 40 lbs. Would that work or should I load up that reel with all new line?

Should I buy any lures to try out? Thanks for the help. Jay
[signature]
Sorry for the late reply.

Bluefin and Yellowfin are wide open right now. Any overnight or day and a half will get you on to the fish.

5/0 ringed live bait hooks are the ticket.

You should do ok with the 80lb setup. I would kick up the leader a bit since some of the Tuna are coming in from 80 to 250lbs.

Good luck.
[signature]
We had a great trip on Old Glory last month. Caught limits on Skipjack and Yellowfin.
We got a couple of small yellowtail as well. Brought home a lot of fish and have had it grilled and some raw in ceviche , sushi and poke.

The 16 yr old even got the jackpot with the biggest yellowfin. It was about 40lbs. It was nice to have the spinning reel and a little bit longer rod for casting over and getting the live bait out there further.

So much fun! They did not target Bluefin much but that is what we expected with this trip. We trolled a bit from spot to spot. That will have to be the next trip we plan. Looks like Bluefin is doing great right now.
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip, how much did it cost per person? Any pics?
[signature]
The Old Glory overnight was $215 each. That covered the Mexican fishing permit and the little bunk we slept in while we traveled out to the tuna grounds which was about 70 or 80 miles out.
[signature]
That's not too bad on the price, especially when you were going that far out. Nice catch, thanks for sharing your report and pics.
[signature]
(10-03-2018, 03:07 PM)fryman1 Wrote: Hi California Anglers
I am from Utah and 3 of us are coming out for our first overnight tuna trip.  I am looking at which boat to book right now and I am having a hard time deciding between the Tribute with Seaforth or the Old Glory out of H and M Landing.
We are going to try for one leaving on a Wednesday or the Thursday night.  Also not sure which night is better and maybe less anglers and not as crowded. 

From the Youtube videos it looks like a lot of flylining with live bait for yellowfin and skipjack.  Which size hook would you recommend.  4/0 or 5/0 live bait hook with the ring? I have the large Salt Striker reel that I use for sturgeon and it currently has 80lb braid. I was planning on using a 4 ft flourocarbon leader at 40 lbs.  Would that work or should I load up that reel with all new line?

Should I buy any lures to try out? Thanks for the help. Jay
[signature]