Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luck VS Skill
[cool][blue][size 1]To the guy who catches lots of fish, it is because he knows what he is doing. He uses the right tackle, presents his bait or lures the right way and in the right spots. He is able to detect the bites and set the hook. Then he is able to skillfully play the fish in and make his own decision about catch or release.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some guys go out to the wrong places, the wrong time of year, fish with mismatched or oversized gear, use the wrong bait or lures, can't tell when they have a bite and if they do get a fish they break them off or let them get off by not maintaining a tight line. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]To the latter group, anybody who catches a fish is just LUCKY. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]My observation is that the more experience you have and the more refined your tackle and techniques, the luckier you get. Of course, we have all been trounced by rookies or first time fishermen, so luck does sometimes play a part in the equation. At least we can blame it on bad luck if we blank.[/size][/#0000ff]

[Image: bl040218.gif]

[blue][size 1]Anybody got any good luck - bad luck stories?[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]And, how about the old argument about whether using electronics is art or science?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I always say, "Better to have bad luck than no luck at all!"
[signature]
Funny toon there TubeDude!

When I was young, and first started to spin fish small streams with my step dad, I would always claim that I was just unlucky. He would usually give me the first cast into the good holes, of course I usually wouldn't catch anything, then he would cast into the hole, and wham, nail a fish. I used to get so frustrated. Then with some time and practice I became pretty proficient, and even out-fished him a time or two. I think you need a little of both to catch fish!
[signature]
Funny TubeDude. I think it is a little luck a little experience and determination.When I first started fishing with my son-in-law he took me to Echo. It was in the spring and the water was high. We were fishing with powerbait and he was riping them out. I got so frustrated that I casted right next to him. Well that bite finally came I set the hook and I pulled that trout in. When I got him in we discovered that fish also had his double hook setup in his mouth. A total of 3 hooks. I saw his pole bounce but I was determined to get that fish and I did.So lucky he wasn't watching his pole and determination to catch a fish.
[signature]
My dad used to do the same exact thing! Now we're just about equal. Its amazing how that happens!

I think you need both, at about a 75% skill, 25% luck. Last year up at Scofield, I didn't know what the hell I was doin, but I still got 3 in a little over an hour, and one was a Whopper at 8 pounds. Sheer luck for that fishie.
[signature]
sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
[signature]
When I was growing up and my dad would take me fishing, I would catch more fish than anyone at least 75% of the time. We would all basically fish the same way. We usually fished with a bubble and a worm, cheese, or zekes, etc. It used to drive some of the people in our group crazy. One day when fishing with a family friend, he said that he had read an article about fishing success. The article had concluded that, when we humans put our bait on the hook, we put some of our human scent on the bait. Or when we tie on a lure or fly, our scent attaches to the lure or fly. And some anglers are more successful than others because their scent is more attractive to fish. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it makes some of us pretty darn lucky.
[signature]
Got to love those far side jokes. I'd say finding that awesome lure/bait for any lake has to do with a little luck but catching fish is all skill and determination. Beginners luck doesn't matter all that much since the person they are fishing with is sharing their knowledge and skills.
[signature]