Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minnkota help
I need some help! I am pretty serious about getting a Minnkota bow mount w/spot lock. I will be mounting it on a 14’ Gregor. What size motor (thrust) should I be looking for and how do I choose the right length shaft? Are there any dealers in the Ogden, SLC area that carry them?

Richard
[signature]
Hello fellow Gregor owner.

I love my Gregor and I love my Minn Kota i-Pilot.

First of all, congratulations on deciding to install a Minn Kota i-Pilot. I think you will absolutely love it. That "Spot-Lock" feature is so awesome for vertical jigging at the Gorge and the Berry. And Spot-Lock is just the beginning of the many great features of a Minn Kota i-Pilot.

Currently, I have a 17.7 foot Gregor with a i-Pilot. My i-Pilot is the 55 lb thrust motor with a 54 inch shaft.

My first boat was also a 14 foot Gregor. I have many many good memories in that little tin bin.

Having owned a 14 foot Gregor and an i-Pilot, I would recommend for you to install the 48" shaft (even the 45 inch shaft would work fine) with the 45 lb thrust motor. A 45 lb thrust motor should whip that little boat around just fine. And a 12 volt deep-cycle marine battery should easily keep that little Gregor under control all day long (even two full days).

Anyway, I would go with the 45" or 48" shaft and a 45 lb thrust motor.

Here's a link to determine what length shaft to install:

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/f...aft-length

Here is what Minn Kota says about determining thrust size for boat weight: "You need at least 2 lbs. of thrust for every 100 lbs. of fully-loaded boat weight (people and gear included). If things like wind or current are major factors where you fish, you’ll want a little extra thrust. "

Cabella's has a pretty good selection of Minn Kota i-Pilot stuff on display to look at and touch. Their sales people are pretty good too.

Minn Kota has a phone number you can call for these kinds of questions too. I called them when I was wonder the same things as you. Here's that number: 800-227-6433

Good luck Richard … you are about to ask yourself, "WOW, why haven't I had an i-Pilot long before now?"

--- Coot ---
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Hello fellow Gregor owner.

I love my Gregor and I love my Minn Kota i-Pilot.

First of all, congratulations on deciding to install a Minn Kota i-Pilot. I think you will absolutely love it. That "Spot-Lock" feature is so awesome for vertical jigging at the Gorge and the Berry. And Spot-Lock is just the beginning of the many great features of a Minn Kota i-Pilot.

Currently, I have a 17.7 foot Gregor with a i-Pilot. My i-Pilot is the 55 lb thrust motor with a 54 inch shaft.

My first boat was also a 14 foot Gregor. I have many many good memories in that little tin bin.

Having owned a 14 foot Gregor and an i-Pilot, I would recommend for you to install the 48" shaft (even the 45 inch shaft would work fine) with the 45 lb thrust motor. A 45 lb thrust motor should whip that little boat around just fine. And a 12 volt deep-cycle marine battery should easily keep that little Gregor under control all day long (even two full days).

Anyway, I would go with the 45" or 48" shaft and a 45 lb thrust motor.

Here's a link to determine what length shaft to install:

[url "https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-i-select-shaft-length"]https://www.minnkotamotors.com/...-select-shaft-length[/url]

Here is what Minn Kota says about determining thrust size for boat weight: "You need at least 2 lbs. of thrust for every 100 lbs. of fully-loaded boat weight (people and gear included). If things like wind or current are major factors where you fish, you’ll want a little extra thrust. "

Cabella's has a pretty good selection of Minn Kota i-Pilot stuff on display to look at and touch. Their sales people are pretty good too.

Minn Kota has a phone number you can call for these kinds of questions too. I called them when I was wonder the same things as you. Here's that number: 800-227-6433

Good luck Richard … you are about to ask yourself, "WOW, why haven't I had an i-Pilot long before now?"

--- Coot ---[/quote]

I have never seen a Gregor over 16 feet, been thinking about picking one up for the smaller lakes and leave the Lund at home. Post some pictures of your setup when you can.
[signature]
Ralph, thanks for your help. I got one ordered and is supposed to get delivered Wednesday. It only comes in 55#. I started making modifications on the boat this afternoon, hope everything works.
Richard
[signature]
Let me know if you would like any help installing it.
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr]I have never seen a Gregor over 16 feet, been thinking about picking one up for the smaller lakes and leave the Lund at home. Post some pictures of your setup when you can.[/quote]

I am actually toying with the idea of selling mine a year from this coming spring.

[inline Full-Side-444.gif]

[inline Back-End-444.gif]

[inline Inside-444.gif]

[inline Justin-and-Lee-Launch-Time-444.jpg]

[inline Old-Coot-and-Fishing-Buddy-Lee-Attabery-Frosty-Fall-Fishing-Silhouette-444.jpg]

Those Gregors are all welded and "battle ready"!!
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot][quote fish_hntr]I have never seen a Gregor over 16 feet, been thinking about picking one up for the smaller lakes and leave the Lund at home. Post some pictures of your setup when you can.[/quote]

I am actually toying with the idea of selling mine a year from this coming spring.

Those Gregors are all welded and "battle ready"!![/quote]

Are you outgrowing it? What would you replace it with?
[signature]
Nope ... Not out growing it. Just thinking about doing other things in my life rather than so much fishing.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Nope ... Not out growing it. Just thinking about doing other things in my life rather than so much fishing.[/quote]

...this reminds me of a time you told me that you were having a conversation with your wife about fishing:

Ralph: "I think I fish too much. I might not fish any more..."

Ralphs Wife: "Yes, but you are not going to fish any LESS either!"

I hope I'm still fishing with you in 10 or 15 years or longer!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
"Nope ... Not out growing it. Just thinking about doing other things in my life rather than so much fishing"

Where's Ralph, and what happened to him?[laugh]
[signature]