Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry
Like everybody else, I was out at Strawberry Friday afternoon and again on Saturday afternoon. Fishing is good right now, which I realize is no secret. A couple of notes:

(1) I fished a combination of streamers and nymphs. The streamers took all the big fish, and nymphs (prince nymph, tungston surveyor, etc) took all the small ones. Eventually I just went to streamers.

(2) People are saying white streamers. I did well on a yellow dungeon. Also caught fish on black and olive woolly buggers. Type 4 sinking line. I did a little better without heavy heads on the streamers.

(3) In past falls there has been a magical hour at dusk when you could catch big cutthroats on the surface. I could tell they wanted to come up on Friday evening, as I would see one rise here and there. However the water was too rough, and surface action never got going. Saturday I didn't even try to find rising fish in the evening.

(4) My size average is a little down from last year. Not a single fish above the slot, although on Saturday I was fishing with my neighbors and their kids, so we were not aiming for size.

(5) It is entirely possible that I haven't spent enough time on the water this year to be dialed in on exact locations, but I've found fish more dispersed than in the past couple of years. Last year and the year before, the points along the southern part of the lake were by far the most productive. This year (starting at renegade) I found fish in random places. For example the water along shore south of Haw's Point produced as well as my historically most productive water in the meadows.

(6) In two days, I only caught one rainbow. Talked to a guy who caught all rainbows, using power bait. I think we might just not see them when fly fishing, though I feel like they should be feeding on naturals by now.

I guess that was a few reflections than I intended. I am bogged down with work this week, but if I had more time, i would try to get out there again while the weather is nice but fishing is good. This is my favorite fishing event of the year in Utah!
[signature]
Great report, thanks for sharing.

I wish I lived closer to that great fishery.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and insight.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. I've been trying to fish a different spot every time I go to Strawberry. I've also been using different flies than my "go to". I haven't seen any real patterns. Noticeable fewer rainbows. I'm not fishing chironomids as much because I can't keep the chubs off. The cutts haven't really been preferring any color of streamer over another. If anything, black or purple have been the best. Like you said, bead heads have not been as effective as unweighted. Less fish than usual over the slot and no real pigs this year. Lots and lots of fish though. I fish mornings, first light to around noon.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report. I'm still trying to find time to get up there. Are you using multiple fly rigs or just a single streamer? Are you typically fishing closer to shore or out a little deeper?
[signature]
thanks for the detailed info!
[signature]
Dunn13--

Now is the time, if you can get out! All this nice weather, I wish i was out there now.

I started with two fly rigs, a streamer in front and a nymph (size 12-16) around a foot or slightly more behind it. But I didn't get any fish over 12 inches on the nymphs, so I don't think it's worth the hassle right now. I do think the size of streamer can matter a little. I like articulated streamers but if I tie them too big (say, more than three inches in length), I start to get fewer strikes. However also interesting: when I had my neighbors' kids trolling rapalas, the CD 5 or 7 definitely did better than the smaller rapalas. So I think there is a balance. I think a size 4 or 6 streamer should be good. Black, purple, white, or yellow. I like streamers with lots of movement.

Earlier in the year I was catching more fish in open water. As the fall goes on, I move tighter to shore. Last weekend I caught most of the fish within 50 yards of shore. Right now I'd fish the first break line. Stay out of the weeds near shore, but once you get beyond the weeds (so that you're no picking them up with your sinking line), then I think you're in the good range. Moving out to 15-20 feet of water is fine. Watch for fish in the shallows and note where you see any surface activity. If the wind kicks up, I like the clear water off shore better than the murky water along the shoreline.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I always want to go with some guys on this forum who are better stillwater fishermen than I am. I have too many working days in the fall, so it hasn't worked out. But I'm still trying to learn what works.
[signature]
2fishon--

Sounds like we've had similar experiences. I have gone away from chironomids as well. I saw a couple big fish in the early summer but none since. I've been fishing evenings but I wouldn't be surprised if mornings are smarter--less wind.
[signature]