Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antelope Island Buffalo hunt ??
F&G just called me wanting to know if I would be interested in an older bull cull hunt on the island in Dec. They sent me some pictures of the type bulls they want taken out of the herd, not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this offer or not. The horns look pretty well beaten up. I have 24 hrs. to respond.[crazy]
[signature]
I don’t think I’d drop my points on that. You didn’t say if they take your points or if it’s pay to play. My bro went on an island “hunt” a few years ago- wasn’t much to brag about. The 2 hunts I’ve been on at the Henry’s, were the funnest hunts I’ve done, although really tough and I didn’t hold a tag- just helping. They are adding tags in the Bookcliffs too. I’d wait it out for a fair chase hunt.
[signature]
I appreciate your input, not sure yet, I think this is considered a fair chase hunt don't think they are penned up, I will call the Manager out there tomorrow and find out for sure. I would have to give up my points but I don't have many of them anyway I drew my moose tag in 2007 and I'm not getting any younger.
[signature]
I would be interested in the cost to you Pete. Ive heard they go out with a front end loader and hang and skin it for you after you shoot one. They take you in a state truck and point out to you which one you can shoot. At least this is what ive been told occurs. Keep us posted
[signature]
It is a cull hunt of older bulls, I haven't been able to get in touch with the individual that handles these hunts but I'm sure he is tied up with the buffalo roundup this weekend. I don't know all the particulars yet but I'm sure the ranch manager will select the bulls that they want taken out of the herd. They are not penned or in a corral. As far as equipment to aid in taking care of the animal I'm not sure. The cost of the tag is the same as a drawing tag, and I will lose my points.
[signature]
I'm pretty sure what Mark said was true because they only want you to take certain bulls, they pretty much have to point them out to you. I got mine on the Henry mountains and had to go back in there 10 miles on horseback to get it, not saying you can't get one closer to the road, if you are lucky but it's a tough hunt for most people, if you don't have horses. I got a yourger animal because I wasn't looking for a trophy and it was a good eater but one that old, that you are looking at, is going to be tough, so that might be something to consider but I doubt you will get one any easier. You might also talk to a taxidermist, it see if they can repair horns that are beat like that.
[signature]
Got all the bases covered I will be going on the hunt. I guess maybe some of you don't understand what a cull hunt is, but it is designed to take out the older bulls 12 years +, I knew that when I received the call, the Ranch biologist will be with me and show me the bulls they want taken out of the herd it is my decision on which one of those I take. I guided on DL&L for a few years and spent time around the buffalo when they had them there. Too old to trek the Henry MTs or Book Cliffs for a buffalo and I only have 10 points and will probably never draw one of those tags anyway so I'm satisfied with this hunt. We have too many mounts on the walls already so I will only be doing a European mount on him. If the bull turns out to be a little chewie they still make great jerky and hamburger.
[signature]
That's great that you chose to do this hunt. It sounds like you know what to expect from the situation and as long as you get some enjoyment out of it then all is good.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the bull that you get.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
After going through what I did on my sheep hunt and knowing how tough Buffalo hunts could be, i think to made a wise choice Pete, looking forward to seeing your pic of that big guy you are going to get. Those big bulls are massive, so you are going to have a ton of great jerky and hamburger. That was another factor I did not mention, trying to cut one of those big boys is a huge undertaking in and of itself, so if they help you, with their equipment, that alone is well worth it.
[signature]
I have a good buddy that I guided with on DL&L and he did a lot of the buffalo hunts on that ranch, pretty much all of the gutting, skinning, and caping of the harvested buffalo and he is a great taxidermist ( Mountain Man Taxidermy in Lake Town), he will be joining me on the hunt. [Smile]
[signature]
You are a lucky man Pete, always good to have helping hands when doing a big job like that.
[signature]
I wish they would have called me Pete I used to go up to starvalley and wacky one every year great eating, I put in for antelope island every year,plan on waking one loading it with my skid loader and heading for the butcher.
[signature]
Thanks I haven't seen you on here for awhile, hope everything is going fine for you.
[signature]
Congrats buddy. I hope you have a great experience. I keep hoping someday I'll catch up with the point creep and draw my cow bison tag. A Euro for the head and a blanket for the hide are what I have in mind.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
That's exactly what I have planned, I would like to find someone that dips the skulls in camo paint instead of the all white bone.
[signature]
Pete, go checkout Intermountain hydrographics. Travis VanAlfen is the owner and he lives in Hooper, Utah. Dips about anything and is agreat guy and does A+ work. Tell him I sent you. Google up his web site and see his work.
[signature]
That's the Gent that my buddy had told me about, I called him earlier and left a message, I would like him to do my antelope first and if that turns out my buffalo skull if I get one. Thanks Mark.
[signature]
Well?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Hunt happens mid Dec.[cool]
[signature]
Results of Friday's buffalo hunt with family and friends. Bull was aged at 14-15 years old and weighed 1800 lbs. Horn bases were 14 1/2 in. On right side and 15 on the left. Beautiful cool morning at 19 degrees.
[signature]