Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water for Willard and Utah Lake
Do you think we have enough snow in the mountians this year to run off for the two lakes? Filling in the shallow boat docks etc...

I am wondering if it's worth shelling out bucks for boat registration come april so what do you guys think?
[signature]
Nope.

Willards marinas are bolth still dry, and the new channel dredging will only help out for a few months. Plus you still have to factor in that you have to launch in the mud off the end of the boat ramp to get into the channel.

I dont know about utah lake, but as for willard, its the last in a line of lakes that need filled. Plus its after a ton of irrigation.

It will take 10 years of above average snowfall to fill willard to its normal depths. We would have to have one major winter with snow like we have not seen since 84 to fill willard in one year.

My guess is that the south marina at willard will have a foot or two of water in it, and wont be launchable most of the year, the north marina will be the same story, but guys will launch into the fall out of smaller boats. Not mine though.

Our current water situation needs long term conservation to keep in godd standing. It wont be fixed in one winter. Definitley not this winter.
[signature]
Why would you limit yourself to using your boat on only two lakes?
[signature]
Cuz I like to fish close to home for those bass walleyes and wipers. Deer Creek and Jordanelle are the other two that I frequent. Once or twice a year I go out to starvation. It's all in the time restraints as Im a full time student and as well as a full time employee. I want to fish close to home as possible and I would be very disappointed if I cant fish the two lakes and leaving me with Deer Creek which is already dangerously low at the boat ramps, thus leaving me with one effective place which is Jordanelle to fish primarily. So you see?
[signature]
Perhaps if people see this and realize that it is simply not worth hundreds of dollars to register the boats because of low water, then perhaps it is time agencies start dredging deeper to allow the lake to pour into the marinas to keep the revenues generated by the boat regs.
[signature]
Just thought of one more place close to home, Yuba, but it is not ready with walleyes or bass yet...
[signature]
[size 3]I will be attending a meeting with the water watchers the first part of March at this meeting we will find out what the out look is for this year and should be able to get an idea of how full the reservoirs will get. I will let you know what I find out.[/size]
[signature]
I'd hate to say it, but Utah lake won't fill up. They pump too much dang water thru the Jordan to help it any. I'd love to see it fill up, but I don't see it happening till around 2006-2007, and thats if we have good snowfall.
[signature]
That's right. It hasn't been full since 1998 and it was awesome then!!!
[signature]
I could use at least 5 feet of water before my "hot spot" for cats at Utah Lake will be fishable again.
[signature]
I talked to a maintenance worker at Willard on Monday that thought it would not fill up this year but he said there would be enough water to float the new boat docks they are putting in at the north marina. I ask him about extending the boat ramp and he said that wasn't going to happen but they found that the middle ramp goes all the way down into the mud and way under the water. It was so covered with mud that they did not even know how far the ramp went until they dug down into the mud and found it. At least one of the ramps goes all the way into the water, so I will be registering my boat this year. WH2
[signature]
Oh come on -- I think you guys should all not register your boats in an organized protest. That way it will be just that much easier for me to launch my boat!
[signature]
I know it! That year I caught a cat I completely forgot about till now.[crazy] Honestly in the 18-20 pound range. Last year, when I fished there the one time, where I caught her the water was about 10" deep. Made me sick! If you could just get into Saratoga Springs it would be awsome. Back 10 years ago my dad used to fish it there when it was low. He used to always come back with 10 lb. Channels and a bunch of big mudders.
[signature]
You guys don't seem to understand why your water is so low. The drought you guys complain so much about is mainly southern utah. Northern Utah has had average snow pack, including this year, for most of the drought. The problem is people and who has water rights.
[signature]
I know it. Most of the reservoirs down that way are nearly empty too. I just wonder why the water right owners would use that precious water so hapharzardously. They ain't right in the head. Even up here, what have you got? 2 or 3 major farms from Utah lake to the GSL? Its just plain insanity to use all that water.
[signature]
All the water from Utah Lake ends up going to SlC in canals etc. and is wasted when it goes into the jordan and GSL. They continue pumping late into the fall even with no crops around that is what makes me mad.
[signature]
[size 3]Before you start judging the water managers on wasting water do your home work. [cool]I know several of the water managers and they are doing their best to not waste water. All water belongs to someone through Water Rights. The water managers are required by law to provide this water to the owner of the Water Rights even if they do not use the water. Not all owners are farmers. I know in some areas that the nature reserve owns Water Rights they use in the wetlands for the birds. If you are concerned about the use of water in your area contact the State of Utah Natural Resource or the local water district to find out what is going on.[Wink] If you can document areas were water can be saved you might be able to help change Water Right laws.[Smile][/size]
[signature]