Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Sat. 11/3/18
My brother and I fished Scofield Saturday. His friend and two small boys accompanied us. The fishing was hot from 8:00 till 10. Then it kinda came and went. Later on in the afternoon they either turned on or cruised back into the area; the fishing was really hot again. I had a hard time keeping lines in the water even though I had three poles set up to alternate. We easily missed or lost as many as we brought to shore. We used worms and Powerbait nuggets (chartreuse, rainbow or orange) under bobbers or bubbles. Fishing ~3 feet down or on the bottom both worked. At first in the morning my brother was out-fishing me three-to-one. It may have been the need for a sharper hook or sharper fisherman [Wink]. I caught back up somewhat in the afternoon. Funny how a spot a few feet away can be hotter than the one next to it. He ended up with 29 and I landed 22. They were about 12" to 16'' long. The other three caught 41 among them. Fat rainbows predominated but we caught a few skinny cutts as well, mostly below the slot. We took home a few of the chunky 15-16" rainbows for dinner.

A fun day fishing and a blast to watch the little guys catching neck-and-neck with us.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Great report, thanks for sharing it with us, any chubs caught?
[signature]
No chubs at all, nor any really little fish. I wasn't around for the glory days at Scofield but it seems like they may be coming back to some degree.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I hear most the Chubs are caught near the dam, but no Chubs anywhere on the lake is great news.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Not really rebounding that I can see. A year ago after the DWR started stocking wipers and T muskie, the chub numbers started to decline, at least compared to the numbers being caught before, that continued throughout the Winter into the Spring and Summer and a year later there numbers are still down from everything I'm reading. Some would claim it has to do with high water levels there but I'm not so sure. I guess we will have to take a wait a see attitude but IMO, the fact that you caught zero chubs is a good thing.
[signature]
I fished Scofield twice last winter and caught fish all day. No chubs either trip. Year before that we caught 135 chubs and 4 skinny cutts in one morning of fishing. I can see Lots of improvement.
[signature]
I agree, from your reports and other members reports, that is a huge improvement.
[signature]