Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which trolling motor battery last longest?
I've used various deep cycle batteries for decades, some that didn't last three years. The one I'm using at present is from Walmart and is going on fours years. The charge lasts as long as I keep the trolling motor set to 1 or 2, otherwise much less if constantly fighting a wind at 3 or 4 power. I can't say the battery was expensive - around $100 - and I've gotten good use out of it. Are there batteries that anyone has used that lasted 5 years?
[signature]
I know members that have had batteries last for 8 years but they have spent up to $200 on each one. It all depends on how much you use them and how well you charge them. Have you seen the YouTube videos on how to get extra life out of your old batteries?
[signature]
I'll check them out. I still have a Sears deep cycle battery I've had for many years and it still holds a 75 % charge. It was over $200.
[signature]
I have viewed several videos, here are two, I think the first one is the better one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEzFP0RwOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcE7ErS-Pl8

There are more out there that have some good info.
[signature]
The old Sears is a sealed battery. The newer ones are supposed to be closed. I pried the lid off one and broke the lid. Don't know if extending the use is something worth the time and effort. I'm mostly curious the brand names for deep cycle and starting that stand out.
[signature]
I googled "Best deep cycle batteries" this is what it said:
The VMAX857 AGM Battery is best for deep cycle. It is an ideal choice for trolling motors that are 18 to 35 lb and that require a battery that is 12 volt 35Ah capacity.Jul 27, 2018

A friend that got 8 years out of a set of deep cycle batteries used, Optima 8016-103 D34M, I got the number from the video below but it shows several that were rated the top batteries for 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcmpRo19eY
[signature]
Thanks.
I used expensive AGM batteries from Cabela's years ago in my bass boat and they lasted only three years. Hopefully they've improved.
They are also sealed batteries.
[signature]
Its not the time in months or years that determine battery life, its the number of cycles. How many times it is charged and discharged. Storage temperatures, state of charge during storage, method of recharge, and timing between discharge and recharge play a role too. I get 12-18 months from the WalMart deep cycles, but that's well over 100 discharges and recharges, sometimes from nearly-dead to fully charged. Summer heat is not good for battery life, worse than sub zero cold, contrary to what many think. Use the big group 29 Everstart Maxx from WM, the most bang for the buck in my long experience. I've tried Optimas, sealed, AGM, the works.
[signature]
Quote:Everstart Maxx from WM,

it's what have for the row boat - so far so good.

good info - thanks
[signature]