Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fished Boyd 11-8

Fished Boyd with Willami today for the morning. The weather was great a bit cold. Water temp was 47. air temp high 30’s at 7:00 am. We landed about 10 smallies from 14in. to 17in. and 1 trout. It was good fishing with you again Will. had a lot of fun today. here’s a couple of them.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics Chuck, looks like some nice smallies, did you try for any eyes?
[signature]
That was fun, nice and peaceful being the only boat, even with a few shotgun reports. Thanks again for the invite.
Those bass were pretty aggressive still, the walleye were around it would be hard for them to compete, they seem to like the same baits so the time is probably key there.
Unfortunately, luck is my best tactic for them and it seems to loose its power over time.
[signature]
I hear yea, it seems when the water temps take a dip, like they are now, the eyes really slow down and don't want to chase anything moving too fast. We were out on a local lake yesterday and picked up one SMB but the cats were the fish that really had the bite going on. Glad you guys found some really active fish too.
[signature]
Nice, I got skunked almost every sttempt this year for cats but I'm planning on trying one or two times before the ice up.
Keep hearing some encouraging things if its not too late, I'd gladly fish through a cold night for just one fighter.
[signature]
Here is a pic of a bigger cat I caught last week. This week we caught more but they were all smaller none over 21".
[signature]
We were fishing for walleye the whole time but the bass wanted to play.
There was a big walleye caught last week 11 lbs. 31in. by a guy we met.
I will try and get over there again next week.
[signature]
Were you casting jigs or bottom bouncing with worm harnesses? Wow, an 11 lb eye is a very good fish, pretty amazing to hear of eyes that big coming from Boyd, for some reason I thought that lake wasn't large enough to have them that big.
[signature]
Nice looking cat, started to forget what they look like.
[signature]
Thanks, it is my largest to date.
[signature]
My problem with size/weight records is I usually don't bother to or can't weigh or measure, especially big catfish at night and alone. I did make a simple measure yesterday, 20 inches of phone cord with mark at 15 inches, lost it immediately, thinking of drawing measurements on all my poles and leaving simple measures around the spots I fish.

That place has nice scenery, bet it would be a fun place to icefish, looked up a little on it but going to look for some posts here, should be plenty I imagine.

*Found a little info on the willard reports page , sounds like it could be a challenging place to ice fish. Especially without a shiner doing some of the work for you. I'd probably dye a bunch of dead ones, stick them on dead stick and jig right next to it.
**Looked in Utah regulations and see that you can't do that. No fish as bait whatsoever? Except a few places.
I guess I'd dress up a worm to look like a minnow then, maybe buy some jigging rapalas, not sure.

Like a big version of a couple smaller lakes around me that have about the same type of fish in it. One always cracks up in the same places every year ,something to do with angle of the sun/wind and the rip-rap. By the looks of the place I'd be surprised if the water level didn't fluctuate a lot.
[signature]

Had to get pic your trout, even though its not as pretty as it was when you caught it.
I've seen a big trout that had fresh pike teeth marks, I know because a couple minutes after I caught it I got the pike. Seen prop wounds and lots of unknown injuries but the one you got had triangular marks on one side and some deep gouges on the other. Got to watch osprey catching fish all spring but never there. Never saw a bald eagle catch anything even though they nest around there. Could of been a lot of things. Forgot to measure but its a size/weight.

Or maybe you just have sharp nails and a good grip. Maybe someones dog got a hold of it, who knows.

Thanks again for the hooks and lures and trout.
[signature]