Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton with a Vet
Took my FIL out for our annual Veterans Day Trip. Today we tried Newton since my permit expired for Hyrum and I didn’t have an extra $75.

Well it’s really low in fact my trailer started off the end of the ramp as I was launching. Lucked out and didn’t pull my axel off the trailer so we stayed and fished awhile. Rich nailed this beautiful bluegill almost 10”. I think that’s the biggest one I’ve seen. From then on I caught the rest of the fish today. There were tons of crappie and gills and perch, only problem was I didn’t get a fish over 8” all day. It was a mini fest except for Rich’s monster. But it was a fun day. We used the ice gear and it worked great from the boat. Wish those crappie would grow up they were really fun to catch. Later J
[signature]
Is there a portion of the ramp that doesn't drop off? If not I would like to target those small crappie for sturgeon bait(unless they are filet size). Where from the shore might I try. PM is fine.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[quote BURLEY]

I would like to target those small crappie for sturgeon bait.

[/quote]

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Those are prime sturgeon baits that would look nice all vacuum sealed and ready to go in my freezer.
[signature]
I didn’t try it, but just to the side of the ramp is a gravel type area that I figured I would back down if I couldn’t get my boat on the trailer. But I was able to load ok so I don’t know if it would be good to use or not. This ramp is a wide single ramp so the whole thing is a drop and I’m not sure how far it drops I didn’t let the trailer go over it. As soon as I seen it dropping I stopped and pulled ahead.

From the shore I think you could hit the rock dam face and the fish were easy casting distance from shore, but the crazy things were right on bottom with the perch in 20 fow. Did see some schools of fish about 10 feet deep but none would ever take anything I offered. Newton can be fickle and some trips are good and the next one is dead so I can’t guarantee much success. Good luck. J
[signature]
Man you use that small of bait for those big fish, that’s crazy. Good luck. J
[signature]
Yes, one of those would make two or three baits.
[signature]
Thanks. I drove up to have a peek today, maybe Tues. or Wed. I will take the boat. I threw some jigs along the rocks by the ramp. Got action on first cast with a 6 inch LMB on a black and white tube jig. A half hour later I had a 11 inch bass. show interest in white twister tail. No more after him.
[signature]
Really they were only 5-7” long. If I wouldn’t have had a small hook I couldn’t have caught them. Guess I’ll have to try talking you guys into taking me and I’ll bring the bait. Be funny to use game fish for bait that just seems wrong, but I guess each state has their own laws. Later Jeff
[signature]
I was using my sonar just like ice fishing and would jig a small tungsten jig just 6” off bottom. I sure didn’t expect crappie there but they were. I did get a bunch of 5-6” perch as well and a few Gill. No bass though so you did better than I did. If I wouldn’t have had the sonar and a vertical presentation I don’t know if they would have had long enough to take it. They would watch it for awhile before they would ever take it. Maybe a slip bobber rig from shore would work. The bottom of the main pond is pretty consistent at 22’ so if you put the bobber at 20’ and casted out over 30’ from shore it would likely work to catch them. Or take a small boat. Good luck. J
[signature]
That is some good information. There was a BassTracker fishing the rip-rap for the time I was there. About the same size as my boat, so I might use the boat. Sounds like you are using small gear. I may have to down size my sturgeon gear some.

I don't know if using "bait crappie" to bribe your way into the Secret Society of Sacred Sturgeon Hunters or SSSH! will work, but it may start a bidding war.
[signature]
That's about the biggest bluegill I've seen from newton.....wow! The tiny fish look like they were fun for ya. I thought about fishing Newton when I came over to pheasant hunt, but never did.

BTW, your mom and dad did an awsome job providing my firefighters with a fun pheasant hunt. They are two of the best people I've ever gotten to know! The guys are wanting to make an annual event out of it now!

Mike
[signature]
Yup downsizing is in order for sure. Didn’t catch a thing on the bigger stuff. Tip it with a small piece of worm. Later J
[signature]
Hey Mike, that was the biggest Gill I’ve ever seen. Like to find one of those for the ice contest.

Dad said you guys had been down there chasing roosters. Glad you were able to do that and Dad said he sure enjoyed having you there.

Looking forward to the whitefish fun to come, hope the weather will treat as right this year. I didn’t do real well last year so I hope I do a little better this go round. Thanks for all you do. Later Jeff
[signature]
Looks like they’ve added a new sign and restriction on newton. I fished it a few min today and it was just from the bank. I only got two little guys. A bass and a little perch. They did make it wakeless when the water is below 4761ft above sea level. See pics.

My best guess is they don’t want to stress the fish too much with noisy engines. I wonder what went into the decision to use that elevation as the cutoff. It doesn’t make sense that they put that long launch ramp in and now restrict the boat usage like that.

The trick for me was letting a little jig with a little bit of worm sink all the way down. I’d then give it a couple inch twitch and just wait for a bit then twitch it again. I’d watch the slack in the line and if it was being pulled out then I’d know something was pulling it.
[signature]
Jeff, I'll be sure to spill the beans as soon as the whitefish start biting. For me it doesn't usually really start being decent until about sometime between Dec. 1 and Dec. 5.

Mike
[signature]
I noticed that sign and yellow line. Guess they had too many ski boats tearing things up. So maybe it will be fishable next summer below the line. Thanks J
[signature]
Hey Mike I’ll be waiting and watching for the spill. Thank you. J
[signature]