Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube questions
Recently I've been considering getting a float tube for fishing the lakes and reservoirs here in Utah. I've kayak fished quite a bit in California but my 14ft kayak doesn't quite fit into my 6 person college apartment lol. However an inflatable float tube seems like a great way to be able to fish areas that can't be reached from shore. I've done some internet research about the different kind and brands of float tubes but personal advice is always helpful. I've seen a decent number of BFT members have some experience with float tubes. Does anyone have any advice as to what style, brand, size, etc I should be looking for? Being in college, I won't be able to use it a ton of times every year so I'm not looking for the most expensive or nicest one on the market but I would want a decent one for the local lakes. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
[signature]
Welcome to the board. I have some equipment that I have been wanting to get out of my garage. I will have to check and verify it is still here but send me a PM. With your phone number and I will call you if it’s here. It may not be what your looking for but I can garantee the price will not get any better and it would save me a trip to the DI.
[signature]
If that offer doesn’t work out I’ve got an ODC 420 from Creek company and they have been running specials at $149.00 delivered for a brand new tube and it’s one that has you up out of the water and they are nice tubes. I pack mine into the back country with me and it works really well. Don’t buy the old style round tube they will not make you very happy, but the ones like the 420 are almost like a pontoon so they are great to fish from. Good luck. J
[signature]
I have really enjoyed my Fat Cat made by Outcast. Most places sell it for $379.99, but I bought mine at Smith and Edwards near Ogden for $329.99. I have had it for I think 4 years now, with only one issue. The zipper has stopped working on one of the storage compartments. It is like a pontoon style so your butt is sitting just above the water. You sit pretty nice and is comfortable. I used to own the 420 ODC model that was mentioned and it leaked after only a year of use. Granted I use my tube pretty much year round as long as I can find open water. I also had issues with the valves not keeping the air sealed in the pontoons. You should shoot Tube dude a PM because he is like the godfather of float tube fishing. My two cents.
Gabe
[signature]
[#0000FF]You really should visit the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float_Tube_Fishing_C66/"]BFT Float Tube Forum.[/url] Lots of stuff in the archives and buying guide section to familiarize yourself with some of the options and the experiences of other.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In the meantime, here are a couple of chapters from my CD/book on Tubing and Tooning.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was one of the early pioneers of float tubing, back in the late 1950s...making all my first craft. Over the years I have owned or at least tried most of the new tubes, toons and "pontubes" to hit the market. If you find something that catches your eye...and your budget...I would be happy to give you my personal review and opinion to help you get something that works at a reasonable price.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip! I saw the ODC 420 online and it seems like a great option. Good to hear that you've enjoyed yours so far. It's definitely a model I'll be looking into more seriously!
[signature]
Thanks for the great info TubeDude! The two articles you attached were much more helpful than anything else I've read online. I'll most likely save up for another month or so and keep looking at some different options before I pull the trigger on one, but when I get ready to I'll definitely send you a PM to get any more experience or personal opinion you have on to tube. I'm sure I'll also need some help choosing the best fins and a rod rack when the time comes!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have some other writeups on rod holders and on "propulsion"...fins, oars and motors. Be happy to pass some of that along when you are ready.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, if you need help setting up your tube with rod holders, sonar or any other foo foo stuff I would be glad to have you bring your craft to my "tubeatorium" (garage) for some assistance.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are more and more anglers who either fish solely from "floatation" craft...or who at least have a tube or toon in their arsenal, along with a boat or whatever. Ain't no laws that say you gotta have only one or t'other. But having a float tube will allow you to fish more waters and use a wider range of baits, lures and techniques.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You’re welcome hope it works out well for you. J
[signature]